Just To See You Smile

Start from the beginning

"Sports, in general, aren't really his thing, dad" I laugh back "Anyway Carter we need to talk about work, and I think you need to change your jeans," I say, pointing to the big brown and green dirty spots on his trousers.

He looks down and snorts, "At least I tried, right Big Jim?" he asks hopefully to my dad.

"Let's say it's better if you never try again" he replies chuckling.

I love the way my dad and Carter interact. From the beginning of our friendship, my dad had seen him as part of our clan.

Carter once told me my dad scares him with his icy blu eyes and hard stare, and my dad makes fun of him every chance he gets, but and the end of the day, I know they love each other and Carter is like a son to my dad.

As Carter goes to grab a pair of clean jeans from his suitcase on the car he and Thomas rented, my fiancée approaches me.

Standing on the other side of the railing he stands on his tiptoes and grabs my head in his big hands pulling me down so I'm bending in his direction and leaves a quick peck on my lips.

"I love you" he smiles at me caressing my cheekbones with his thumbs.

"I love you" I smile back, giving him another quick kiss.

I hear Mae gag again from behind us and Anne shush her. I don't mind her though, too distracted by the man in front of me.

"I like your friend," he says nodding his head towards where Harry is standing "Not the talkative type, isn't he?"

I look at the object of our conversation and find him staring at us with a frown as my dad talks to him.

"He is. He just needs to know you better" I sigh, tearing my eyes away from him and back on Thomas.

"I thought he would be the classic famous prat you know? He is quite laid back instead" Thomas says "I'm happy you two made up for whatever happened" he adds truthfully.

When in the past week I told him Harry and I were again on speaking terms and that he went house hunting with me, Thomas was comfortable with it. We built our relationship on trust and respect, and even if he didn't know the story behind Harry's and mine situation, Thomas knew that he didn't have anything to worry about my re-found friendship with Harry.

"He is not the usual famous type. For the matter, he hates that word. Never use it with him" I warn my fiancée.

He nods, breathing out a laugh, "Noted. Famous word is a big No"

" Okay, I found a clean pair of jeans" Carter's voice interrupts us.

I nod in his direction and leave another kiss on Thomas' mouth, "Go back to play, or whatever you manly man want to do, I'll be inside"

He nods, giving me a wink and turns around walking towards Harry and my dad. He says something to my friend and gives him a pat on the shoulder. Harry's position is stiff, and he keeps twisting the ring on his fingers, a clear sign that he is uncomfortable and nervous.

Frowning, I turn in Anne's direction - she is seated with Mae on the wooden rocking under my porch - and smile at her, "Anne why don't you and Harry stay for dinner? I'm making some chicken and vegetables, nothing too heavy" I suggest.

She thinks about for a minute, "Oh I don't want to disturb dear..."

"No sense" I interrupt her waving my hand in front of me " You never disturb. I wouldn't have asked otherwise" I grin.

"Well... If you say so, I guess we could use a meal cooked by you. Can I help you with something?" she tries to stand up but I stop her with a smile.