1.Laxmana: Epitome of Sacrifice and Brotherhood

Ramayana is one of the two major sanskrit epics of ancient India

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Ramayana is one of the two major sanskrit epics of ancient India. The epic, traditionally ascribed to the Maharishi Valmiki , narrates the life of , the legendary prince of the Kosala kingdom, Lord Rama . It follows his fourteen-year exile to the forest by his father King Dasharatha , on request of his step-mother Kaikeyi. His travels across forests in India with his wife Sita and brother Laxmana , the kidnapping of his wife by Ravana , the great king of Lanka , resulting in a war with him, and Rama's eventual return to Ayodhya to be crowned king. This is the culmination point of the epic. It's the most sacred book, and is read by millions of people's every year.

I will not get much into sequential story-line as most of you are already aware about it. One of the greatest orator of marathi, Rama Shewalkar had stated  "No brothers have ever loved each other the way Rama and Laxmana loved each other,moreover no brothers should ever love each other the way they did." When Laxmana got the news that in order to follow promise that King Dashratha gave to Kaikeyi, Rama has to leave Ayodhya and spend the normal life in forest for 14 years far off Ayodhya and Rama accepted it happily, Laxmana got so furious and angry and rushed to Rama.

Angry Laxmana poured fire out of his heart to Rama and asked him to rebel against Dashratha,"What kind of father does this to his own child?", "When you dont get what you deserve you have to fight for it?", He even crossed his limits to abuse his own father. Rama had mixed emotions seeing his brother caring of him so much but at the same time urging to go against his father was unacceptable. Rama calmly said,"Laxmana I agree to everything you said,I know its unfortunate and I didn't deserve to be sent out like this but this is about promise,Promise means Respect,if a king can not keep the promise he has given to his own wife, how will people in our kingdom believe it? It is my extreme honor to keep the pride and respect of Raghukul alive, if I am asked to do it again, I will do it." Laxmana wasn't really happy but he accepted Rama's decision but urged to go with him.

"एकवचनी एकबाणी"

Just so you all know Kaikeyi didn't asked Laxmana for vanvas but it was Laxmana's own call to go with Rama,to be with him as his shadow,to protect him and Sita from demons,to guard the place at night so they can sleep well! Rama tried his best to convince Laxmana to stay back in Ayodhya, "Laxmana you need to stay here in Ayodhya,Kaikeyi can also kill our own father in our absence you need to stay here to protect him,you need to stay here to represent me in the court. I will live very hard life in forest dont give up your Royal and comfortable life in my blind love."

Laxmana's epic reply will win your heart, "Brother, Even if I become King of this whole mother Earth in your absence,it is useless for me and If you are with me then I dont need to be anyone because whole mother Earth is useless for me. And I don't care about the father who is sending his own son to hell, so accept my request and let me come with you.Rama accepted Laxmana's decision with teary eyes.

If you ever ask me who's the greatest mother,I will reply "Sumitra',mother of Laxmana. When Laxmana went to Sumitra for taking leave,Sumitra didn't stop him,she happily agreed to send her son away for 14 years. She knew how much Laxmana loves Rama so it is impossible to keep them away from each other. But she did asked for one promise it was,"Son I know what are 3 most important things in your life- your father Dashratha,me and your kingdom Ayodhya,so promise me from today you will make Rama your Dashratha, Sita your mata and forest your Ayodhya" Just imagine the greatness of this mother,emotions really can't be put in words,no matter how much you describe Sumitra,you will always fell short.

 But she did asked for one promise it was,"Son I know what are 3 most important things in your life- your father Dashratha,me and your kingdom Ayodhya,so promise me from today you will make Rama your Dashratha, Sita your mata and forest your Ayodh...

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

When you imagine the situation from Urmila's (Laxmana's wife) point of view it really breaks your heart. Imagine for a wife to live without husband for 14 years,no one will ever get close to the pain she had been through. Maharishi Valmiki is often criticized for not narrating about Urmila but I dont think it is his fault because Ramayana is the tale of Lord Rama,it is the story of Rama and his life,so Rama is the protagonist here and everyone else are recurring characters.

We will see Forest-life,Love of Laxmana for Rama and 2 out of 3 things that prove Laxmana was equally or more great than Rama in next part.