Just Friends

2 weeks later 

Lumiere - Jersey City

Dean spent the rest of the week and even the week after, smiling. He couldn't help it. Everywhere he went, students and teachers grinned at him and it was contagious. All except one.

Jayden.

She avoided him like the plague. When he did see her they'd engage in brief, stiff conversation. He could tell that his bold come on earlier last week had made her a nervous wreck. That could only mean one thing: she might like him, too. If only he could get her to sit or stand still for more than ten seconds, he could probably ask her out on a date. Dean smiled harder. Did he love the thrill of a chase? Of course, he did. He was his father's son - a man who went after what he wanted no matter the cost. But more than that, Dean had a streak for breaking the rules. He was a "shoot first, ask questions later" kind of guy. He knew that employer/employee relationships were frowned upon, but he also knew that Jayden didn't technically work for Kennel Corps. No harm, no foul right?

Besides what his dad didn't know certainly wouldn't hurt him. 

Dean wasn't interested in a serious or long term relationship, and by the way Jayden worked she didn't seem to want one either. Or maybe she had a man? Dean wasn't sure, but he was desperate to find out. Why? Because everything about her fascinated him and because beneath the veneer of cool professionalism he could sense that there was something magical and uninhibited there. She was so in control of everything.

The planner.

The rule enforcer.

He wanted to be the one to make her break her own rules.

Dean watched her in the pale glow of her office lamp

Dean watched her in the pale glow of her office lamp. Her faced scrunched in concentration as she bit down on a pen top, her full lips briefly closing around the top. Slowly she toyed with the pen top in her mouth, biting and releasing. Sensual thoughts arrested Dean until he shook his head to clear them. Her locks fell curly around her face past her shoulders in slight disarray. She flipped the page and her face relaxed as she smiled. It was an easy smile. One he'd seen her give freely to the students here at Lumiere, but never quite to him. Nevertheless, Dean had to admit - she was incredibly beautiful.

Dean broke the silence. "Do you stay late this often?"

Jayden looked up from her desk quickly, placed a hand at the nape of her neck and sighed.

"What are you still doing here? You nearly scared me to death," she began adjusting papers on her desk.

Dean shifted from one foot to the other. He wanted to appear cool, but inside he felt nothing but. Fuck, did she intimidate him. "Sorry about that. I was...uh...waiting for you actually."

Her eyes squinted in confusion. "For what? Is there something I forgot to give you?"

"No...it's just that...we haven't had a chance to talk since I got here and I was wondering if I could take you out for drinks and catch up."