10. The Hotline that Ruined My Life

Magsimula sa umpisa

Ah, yes, the competition. Todays the day.

I nod. That would be good, thanks. Ughh, that sounded too polite. I gulp my coffee down, grab my bag, and rush to the door.

Evangeline?

As I turn, Im gently pushed back to the door by Aarons embrace.

Just one, he says.

My heart skips. One?

His kiss is agonizingly gentle. Then it is gone.

New deal, he says.

Im listening

We wait until were out of the competition. We live together, get to know each other, then see if we still want this. Therell be no torturing each other with dating other people on the side. Just us, waiting.

Youre sure about this? Only a moment ago he was ending it. Hes going to change his mind about this new deal. I can feel it.

He tips my head back and lays a fleeting kiss upon my lips. Yes.

I cling to the door handle and slide out of his arms, remembering that Im late for work, but mostly I know that if I stay another moment Im not going to leave. Im halfway out the door when he snatches my hand and kisses the back of it, his gaze filled with heated thoughts that I like far too much. I take my hand back and smile. I probably shouldnt say this—

Say what exactly?

But I hope we get evicted in round one.

His eyebrows raising is the last thing I see as I walk out the door.

A tiny girl with pigtails darts around my legs and I squeak as the meals stacked in my arms come close to sliding off the plates. When I finally deliver the plates to the table no one complains about their meals. Just as well. I dont think I could handle another person complaining today. Weirdly enough, most of the complaints have been about Tasha.

As soon as I arrived this morning she was in a foul mood, and customers noticed it, too. I tried talking to her, but she walked off. Not long after, Penny pulled her aside. When Tasha returned from the kitchen her eyes were cast to the floor. Penny looked livid. That was four hours ago. Tashas mood has barely improved, even now the lunch rush has gone. Which means its almost my lunchtime. Im hungry, tired, and dare I admit, way too keen to see Aaron.

The door chimes and my gaze darts toward it. I try not to show my disappointment when an elderly woman and her daughter enter. I take their order, then wander back to the kitchen.

Maybe hes not coming.

I slap the lunch docket on the pass and Quinn snaps it from my fingers.

Hey, Evie, whats up? he asks, breaking my daze. Hope youre not worried about the Original Star votes. Penny and I have voted like ten times already.

Then thanks ten times over. I focus on his warm smile, because the spider web tatt peeking out from under his chefs jacket is creeping me out like usual.

Hey, its a pretty damn good song. You and this Aaron guy have some serious chemistry on that demo.

Yeah? I say, a little forlorn but hopeful.

Ah, I see

What?

Its become complicated between you two.

I warm my hands under the counter. Honestly, how do you always know this stuff?

He shrugs. Hed be a fool to let you go.