Chapter 2: Rainier

Începe de la început

Neo was a victim of ignorance. He sought out ways to be smarter upon his realization. It was why, whether the other party had been good to him or not, he learned to become more human and felt for the feelings he had locked away.

The relationship between Rainier and his Young Master was a complicated one. It was built on pain, betrayal, and hurt.

Nazareth had been a child playing with fire and Rainier was but a youth who stepped too close to try and prevent the flames from burning him.

As a result, he was burned by the inferno instead.

Once upon a time, Rainier had thought he was lucky to serve a child of the Odum Family. It didn't matter to him that the child was a bastard. An Odum was an Odum, and this Odum happened to be the Eldest Young Master.

He had been a thirteen-year-old brat, freshly taken off the streets by the Duchess Odum because she saw potential in him.

He was given the basic training of a servant, and then, when he was ready, they sent him to be the personal servant of Young Master Nazareth.

At first, meeting that pair of vermillion eyes, Rainier had thought the Young Master seemed nice.

He was very quiet when he first introduced himself to Rainier, but Rainier assumed it was because he was shy.

Rainier was wrong, and for his lack of insight, he bore the scars of the consequences with shame.

The Eldest Young Master was not kind.

Perhaps Rainier should have seen the signs.

Servants tended to avoid the Young Master, an uneasy look on their faces whenever the Young Master passed by.

Rainier had thought this was strange. After all, the Young Master was only nine.

But then, the rumors of what happened in the Western Garden reached his ears and Rainier knew the truth.

It explained why Young Master Aurelion didn't dare stay in the same room as Young Master Nazareth.

And then, as time went, Young Master Nazareth only grew crueler.

It started with a few sharp words.

Rainier didn't know why, but one day, Young Master Nazareth had insulted him to his face.

Rainier, at the time, had been sensitive to words, so he was brought to tears as a result.

This was a wrong move because his crying seemed to bring the Young Master joy.

From there on, vicious taunts met him on a daily basis, slowly growing to the point where sometimes, the Young Master would even throw something at him in a fit of anger.

Throughout the years, Rainier was a victim of the Young Master's sharp tongue. Never did the Young Master spare him a kind word or care. He was treated without any dignity and was forced to tolerate the abuse.

He watched as his Young Master chose the path of wickedness and maligned intentions, walking barefooted through its thorned ground with a determination that was both irrational and appalling.

He witnessed his Young Master's envious hate, the spiraling madness, and resentment in his eyes gleaming savagely like a monster out for blood. Eventually, Rainier grew to fear him.

And soon enough, that fear also turned to hate.

---

"Rainier?"

Neo couldn't help but call the name of this servant of his.

He turned to face him, and what met his gaze was the black ribbon covering the servant's eyes.