"Aren't you going home?"

"No," the man replied, "The trial vaccine I was working on just finished cultivating. I need to check its reaction to the virus."

At those words, Clark wasn't sure whether to be excited or exasperated.

Doctor Neo Overland.

The man was transferred to the facility during the middle of the pandemic. He was a bit closed-off and hard to approach, but many knew him as some sort of a medical genius.

With a prodigy-like origin story, he became worldwide famous for becoming the youngest medical researcher in history.

Those in the medical fields who specialize in medicine loved him.

He rose to fame after publicizing research papers on the insufficient medical system within all major world powers.

He set the world on fire after exposing the United States of Ameranglo...

So yes. Doctor Overland was certainly a genius.

He was a man ahead of his time.

A modern-day Da Vinci... or something like that. Clark didn't know. He wasn't all that poetic...

Of course, like everyone else, Clark would agree with this statement of the doctor's genius—

—if he hadn't witnessed the idiot almost fainting from hunger!

For a person with so many achievements in his short life, it should have been the first warning sign that the facility was going to deal with a major workaholic.

The doctor was nearly a forty-year-old man, yet he didn't even know when to eat or sleep.

Work! Work! Work!

He was going to work himself to death!

All he knew was work!

Besides that, the doctor only ever spoke to the other researchers if it was a work-related matter.

Clark wouldn't say they were particularly close, either.

They talked, sometimes.

The only reason he and the doctor were even on a first-name basis was due to a night shift he had a few months back.

Clark had made ramen for the two of them when it looked like the other researcher was just going to work the entire night.

He liked to believe that they were somewhat friends, after that. He managed to sit the other man down for a full ten minutes so he could eat properly, after all. That must have counted for something, right?

Clark ended up being the one to make sure that Neo was actually eating during lunch hours.

Occasionally, he would even check in to see if the man had been watered and fed.

Now, however, as he looked at the man staring intently into a petri dish, Clark thought that the genius Doctor Overland was about to keel over and die.

Upon approaching the man's work desk, he saw that the situation was even worse than he initially expected.

The man's lab coat was a rumpled thing, wrinkled and stained from the samples he'd been working on. His hair was messy and disheveled, his pallor pale and waxy. He looked like he hadn't been outside for the last six months and was greatly in need of some sunlight.

"Dude," Clark sucked in a breath, staring into a pair of downturn rust-brown eyes that were dulled with exhaustion.

It was a shame since a lot of people considered the doctor's eyes as one of his most attractive features. They were now lined by dark circles, giving him the appearance of a sick patient.