Sonanami Arcade Date!

Chiaki sat on the railings outside her local arcade, sipping a Boba tea, waiting for her date to arrive. She rocked back and forth in anticipation. Across the parking lot her date, Sonia, came skipping along and waving to get her attention.

She passively waved back and jumped off of the railing. Sonia came running faster and scooped the smaller girl up off of the ground. Chiaki froze up suspended in the air. She wasn't used to being so close to a person and she was still getting used to it.

"Hey Chiaki!" She was placed quickly back to the ground once Sonia realized Chiaki's discomfort. Chiaki graciously smiled up at her.

"Are you ready to go?" She put her half empty Boba into the trash and held her hand out to Sonia.

Sonia smiled, placed her hand on top of Chiaki's and motioned for her to lead the way.

The bright neon lights of the arcade momentarily blinded them both. The short moment of shock caused Sonia to grip harder onto Chiaki's hand. It caused a slight shiver up her spine but she held out. When the lights flickered out Chiaki took her bag off of her shoulder and fiddled inside for her purse.

"It's fine I can pay for the tokens!" Sonia said hastily also getting her purse. When she glanced back Chiaki had emptied the contents of her purse out onto her hand, revealing mountains and mountains of arcade tokens. So much that Sonia had to put her hands underneath Chiaki's to stop them from spilling over.

"Which game do you want to play first?" Chiaki asked poring most of the tokens back into her purse.

"You can choose. I'm not very good at most games..." Sonia went slightly red in the face.

"Well we'll try something easy. What about Pac-Man?"

"The one with the big yellow circle? I'm terrible at it. He always catches me!"

"...Sonia you play as the yellow circle."

"That... that makes a lot of sense actually."

"Do you want me to teach you?" Chiaki smiled sympathetically.

"Yes, yes please..." Chiaki reached for her hand to lead her to the Pac Man arcade machine.

She put Sonia in front of the Machine and wrapped her arms around the taller girl. She placed her hands underneath Sonia's and directed towards the sticks. Chiaki poked her head around Sonia and looked at the screen.

"See, you're the yellow one and you've got to try and get the small dots while avoiding the ghosts. Do you think you can do that?"

"I don't know," She gulped, "But I'm willing to try!" she enthused.

And they did, they kept trying and trying until Sonia could confidently beat the first level.

"What do you want to try now?" Sonia asked after watching Chiaki quickly beat the second level.

"You can choose this time, if you want." She poured some more tokens into Sonia's cupped hands.

Sonia took a short glance around the nearly empty Arcade. Her eyes focused on a small corner of the room that was illuminated by a florescent neon light, in the middle of the light was a small machine. She could barely make out the words printed on the headboard. 'Claw Machine' they read, flickering on and off at random intervals.

"That one!" she nodded towards the machine, "It looks like fun!" She carefully locked arms with Chiaki so the tokens wouldn't spill, and they made their way over to the claw machine.

They gaped at the different array of plushies, big and small, pastel and bright. "Which do you like best?" Chiaki turned her attention up to Sonia while pushing tokens into the slot.

Sonia gawked at all of the plushies before her, after a short bit of consideration she pointed at a dark purple, almost pitch black, stuffed rabbit. It stood out like a sore thumb within the sea of cutesy pinks and yellows of the bears and cats.

Chiaki focused onto that particular toy as Sonia watched her in fascination.

But she missed the rabbit.

When she tried again, she missed another time.

Then again.

And again.

Slowly she was running out of tokens.

"Chiaki its fine just leave it." Sonia had to nearly drag her away from the machine.

She sighed "Well if you say so..." Sonia smiled as they walked away.

Suddenly Chiaki turned around and kicked the machine. Repeatedly. So much so that an employee had to come around and tell her to stop.

Sonia flushed as she tried to get Chiaki under control. Chiaki huffed and explained to the poor employee that the toy wasn't coming out.

"You know those things are rigged?" The underpaid, tired man told her.

"Can you get it for us then?" Asked Chiaki, still not giving up.

Sonia, avoiding eye contact, tried to signal to Chiaki that it really was fine, and she didn't need to do that. However, Chiaki choose not to take the hint, instead pouring the content of her purse onto a table near the machine. Her eyes pleaded for the employee to just let her have it. Something must have resonated with the employee, or he just had enough of Chiaki's nonsense, that made him open the machine up and take the rabbit out.

Chiaki, with a triumphant smile on her face, presented the plushie to an ecstatic Sonia.

As Sonia held the plushie close to her chest, she felt Chiaki's soft arms wrap around her. She melted into the embrace as the employee awkwardly walked off.

Maybe today wasn't too bad.