CHAPTER VII

Mulai dari awal

"Listen James, We can detect when someone is one of us. And both last time I saw him, and just a few moments ago he did not seem like you and I, like any of us. There were no signs." What the hell was Alex talking about!? 'We can detect when someone is one of us?' What did that mean? What did any of this mean?

"Guys quiet down before he can hear us. He's not that far away." A girl spoke up, trying to shush everyone.

"Then we test him. If he doesn't pass, we send him on his way." It was James- I think.

"You know if he doesn't pass you have to stop talking to him. You have to drop him right James?"

"I know Monsieur. But if he is?" This was starting to freak me out. I had no clue how I was able to hear their conversation, but it was starting to scare me.

"James is right. We test him. If he passes, then we take him in."

"How do we know he isn't a traitor from... the other packs?" It was the girl again.

"He's literally clueless. Trust me, I've been too his house."

"And if he's a really good actor?" She asked, angry.

"Well I guess we are just going to have to take that chance madame Olivia."

"Stop calling me madame. It's too fancy for me."

"I am sorry."

"Stop bickering and someone go get him then bring him here." Realizing I was 'him,' I scrambled to the railing, and pulled out my phone like I hadn't just heard their conversation. Slowly the ringing started up again as the sound of footsteps seemed to have faded the closer they got. Click. The door opened.

"Hey, come on back in." It was Alex.

"What?" I said turning around trying to act completely oblivious.

"There's some people who would like to meet you." Alex smiled and stood to the side, allowing me shelter from the heat. As I followed Alex into what looked like to be a living room, I was shaking nervously. What had they meant they when they said they were going to test me? What type of test? I just hoped it wasn't my fathers kind of test. Like the one where he kidnapped me and I had to escape. In the living room stood and sat six people, seven if you counted Alex.

    "So you must be Taylor. James has caught us up a minute ago about you. Said you were... quite the specimen." I gulped as what seemed to be the oldest man here spoke to me. "I'm Nicholas, but everyone here calls me Nick." A African American male said. He stood up from where he sat and walked over to me holding out his hand. He was wearing a police outfit, had short, curly, black hair with hints of gray here and there. Shaking his hand I wondered if he was the one who owned this house and how James knew him.

"You have a beautiful house sir." I complimented the old house.

"Oh no no. This is not my house haha. It belongs to someone I love dearly though. Someone I am proud to call my brother." He put his hand to his chest.

"Is he... dead?" I squeaked out hoping not to strike any nerves.

"No! No no, sorry." He chuckled while apologizing for giving me mixed messages. "He's very much alive, but I haven't seen him a long time." His smile turned into a sad one.

"I'm Jeffery!" Someone chirped up from somewhere in the room trying to break the awkward silence that seemed to have taken over the room. Leaning against the stone fireplace was a young male, with short black hair, cut and styled into a spiky quiff. "I'm Nicholas's son, and twenty four years young it's nice to meet you Taylor." He waved from a distance. As I looked closer, I could see the slight resemblance between Nick and his son Jeffrey. Jeffrey had lighter skin than his father, almost pearly white teeth, a sharp jaw, and a pretty good build. As for his eyes, I was too far away to see.