01 | I love you

A girl of twenties entered into a house gate stealthily. She closed the gate making sure that she doesn't make much sound. Picking up her heavy bag, she walked towards its door. She stopped for a moment in front of the door to think and then walked her way around the house searching. Finding that all the windows were locked and no light was blinking in the house, she made a reasonable assumption of the house being empty. She made her way to the front door again.

She pushed the door open. It opened with a creak. Oh, how glad was she that the door wasn't locked! Entering the house happily, she bolted the door and came inside. Only to be stopped by a shadowed figure. She was scared to death. The evening was cool, but her blood was icy and her muscles tense. She had lost any sense of how long she'd been there, each second was an eternity praying that the something terrible wouldn't happen. Her heart hammered and her brain was short-circuiting with anxious thoughts.

She was under the impression that there was no one in the house and this person- Who was he? She was wondering while he stood there continuously staring right into her soul. Both seemed to have immersed in a battle of staring game which neither wanted to lose. He, however, was confused but she was hatching up a plan. Million thoughts were running up her head, for example,

a) Tell him I'm police. No that's stupid and illegal. 

b) Pretend that this is your house - ok, considerable

c)  oh oh, she got it -

 She decided to break the silence. She dropped her bags went and hugged him tightly "I love you, I love you, I love you so much" He was extremely startled by her actions. He broke himself from her ties and nudged her away, squinting disappointing look at her, "Who are you?"

She repeated, like a broken tape recorder. "I Love you"

"But I don't", he said in a soft tone, hoping he wasn't hurting her. He met her eyes which were looking at him hopefully and shook his head. She pleaded, "Don't tell that"

"Who are you?" he asked, this time his voice was more stern. he crossed his arms across his chest and every look that he threw her practically screamed he demanded answer right now. She laughed frantically, "Oh god. You don't know me?" When he still maintained his calm but firm demeanour, she continued  "How would you? You're meeting me for the first time"

He there his hand up in the air in frustration and turned around. She positively affirms again, "I Love you a lot though"

"I don't even know you and I'm pretty sure you don't know me" His hands on his hips, his voice raspy and he's really annoyed. 

"I know you very well" She argued, trying to keep her facade which as desperately failing. She had to think of other options now.  

"Okay. You love me. Now get out of here " he told sternly. He was confused, he didn't want to hurt her. He wanted to help her. Out of all the emotions he as feeling, most of all, he pitied her, but she was making this too hard.  

"Where?" she asked, turning around here and there. He shrugged, "From wherever you came back" She said dramatically, moving all of her hands all around the air "How can you send me back. Dekho Maine Apne Pura Ghar chodke aayi tumhari liye"[See I've left my whole house for you]

"Toh ussi ghar me wapas jao. Bye" [Then go back to the same house]

"Main apni saari saaman laayi hon" she pointed towards her fallen bags near his legs. [See I've brought my whole things]

"Usko bhi leke jao" he pushed the bags near her [Take that also]

"How insensitive you are. I left my whole house and my family for you and you're-" 

"I'm what? What." He walked towards her, boiling with anger. "Khadoos" she whispered 

"And you love this khadoos?" he laughed. She nodded her head vehemently. "Okay, I believe you love me. Now tell me from when" he smirks

"From four years, ever since I saw you in College. Love at first sight huva mujhe" she said bit confused."Very good" he clapped from her sarcastically. She actually felt proud of her ability to make up that many lies in that high-pressure situation. "See, I told you. I know everything" she challenged him. 

"Wrong" he declared and tried to show her the way to the front door, asking her to leave. "Everything is wrong. For your information, I came here to Delhi today morning from London and I hate lies. I had been living in London since my childhood. Then how did you fall I love with me in college, four years back" he questioned, finding fault in her story. Now wondering if she was a fraud. 

"I meant there only, America" she snapped, rolling her eyes. 

"London" he corrected, glaring at her.

"Yes, the same thing," she said in a disinterested tone. He picked up her bags and unbolted the doors and turned to ask her to leave only to find her missing.

"Kaha gayi? Bhaag gayi shayad...Par gayi Kahan?" [Where did she go? I think she left...but where did she go] he wondered

"Main yahan hon sir" She replied. She was near his legs, he immediately moved back one step and made her get up "What happened?" She started crying "I'm very sorry sir. I was lying. Actually my life is in danger"

"Life in danger?" he asked, tension mounting in his shoulders. 

"Yes, sir. Actually my father is a big businessman; some people want to kidnap me for money" She replies nonchalantly and looks away trying to make herself cry. He is really ashamed of himself now, this girl was n danger and he was being a prick. But he still hadn't processed the whole being kidnapped for money thing, that was such a movie trope and never had he imagined there would be a live victim in front of him. In thoughts, he asks  "What?"

"Yes sir, issliye bach ke aayi hoon. They are still after me now. So I came here" [That's why I was saving myself] she replied with utmost generosity. Her eyes were brimming with tears. His mouth formed an O and he quickly picked up her bags, leading her to the living room  "I'm sorry Ji. Come in" She mumbled a quick thanks and followed him in. 

He kept her bags on the floor and told "You freshen up. You're safe here. Tomorrow morning we will go and report in police"

"Police?" she exclaimed.

"Police ka mamla hai toh wahi Jayenge an. Kya principal se complain karogi?" [Its case of police so we'll go there only. Now, will you complain to principal?]

"Nahi. Mera Matlab vo log bahot khatarnak hai, agar mujhe bahar dekhenge toh -" [No. These people are very dangerous and if they find me out] she says. Her voice seems genuinely panicked, he's moved and he wants to help her 

"Don't worry, I'm there with you" he reassured her. 

"No. I'm scared" she made a puppy face. He sighed, weighing in whether if not going to the police was the right option. She could sense his hesitation, so she started to make more arguments from her side. 

"It is just a matter of a few days. They'll forget me if a few days pass. I'll leave from here tomorrow morning" she rambled non stop.  "No. you're not going anywhere, you can stay here" He started walking into one of the rooms with her bags and turned back again "I love you ka Natak kyu kar rahi thi"[Why were you saying I love you?"]

She smiled sheepishly, "Actually I couldn't think of anything so...i'm sorry"

"It's okay. But remember, I hate lies" he reminded her of the very fact what she was explicitly doing right now, leaving a cold feeling in her heart. While he walked away, she got to thinking, whether it was all worth it? Lying to an innocent man but this was her life, and she was far more concerned with her life being not-ruined than some white lie she told that wouldn't ruin anyone's life whatsoever. 

________________________________________________________________________________

That's it, guys. Please do vote and comment; Criticisms and appreciation are both welcome. I think you might have guessed who she/he is though I haven't mentioned. Just wait for next update for their formal introduction.

Would you guys want to read further? 

Vee :)