Chapter 4

Alicia's POV

I woke up with multiple texts from Jay and Juli. Confused, I looked at the time. I was late for school! I got up and ran to the bathroom. Why didn't mom wake me up? I heard a knock on the bathroom door. It was a hard knock. I turned off the sink and froze.

"Alicia?" A man's voice came through the door.

I didn't recognize it. I looked around the bathroom. I could jump out the window. I grabbed my robe and put it on, tightly tying the string. I went to the window.

"Alicia I know you're in there!" The man said.

I looked out the window. I was on the second floor. The worse I'll suffer is a broken leg if I didn't land right. I looked at the door as it sounded like the man was picking the lock. I pushed the window up and kicked the screen out. I sat on the window sill. The door opened and I jumped. I heard the man curse and run. I landed on a bush. I quickly stood up, my scratches healing instantly, and started running to school. I wasn't quite sure where Jay lived and Juli was farther than the school. Plus they were at school.

"Hey!" A car pulled up next to me. I recognized Jay's voice.

I got in his car quickly. He drove off.

"What's going on? Why didn't you answer us?" Jay looked at me confused.

"I slept in and there was a strange man in my house. I think he worked for the government, he knew how to pick a lock." I said quickly.

Jay's eyes widened. "Great!" He slammed his hand on the steering wheel. He handed me his phone. "Call Juli."

I put in the code he told me then called Juli.

"Jay? Is Alicia alright?" Juli spoke.

"I'm fine, but there was a man at my house. He might've been from the government." I said.

"Crap!" Juli said. "Where's your mom?"

"I don't know. I left my phone on my nightstand." I said.

"We'll go back later and see if they're still here. Maybe send Skyler and Ivelisse to grab your stuff." Jay said.

I nodded slightly.

"Tell Jay to come pick me up, ask if we can hang by his house." Juli said.

"She wants you to pick her up and she wants to know if we can go to your house." I looked at Jay.

Jay furrowed his eyebrows and nodded.

"He nodded." I said to Juli.

"Okay, I'll see you two later." Juli said before hanging up.

I put Jay's phone on my lap.

"How would the government know about you?" Jay frowned.

My heart sunk. "Dad."

"Dad?" Jay looked shocked now.

"I hardly ever see him. Maybe he works for the government." I sighed. "I hope mom's okay."

"She would've wanted you to run." Jay said.

I nodded. He was right. Mom would've told me to run. We stopped by the school and picked up Juli, then Jay sped off to his house. It was a mobile home.

"Is Richard home?" Juli asked.

"Looks like it." Jay motioned to a bicycle.

"He let you have a car and he rides a bicycle?" Juli looked sad.

"Yeah. He'd rather me be safe." Jay said.

"He sounds like a good older brother." I said.

"You'll see." Jay smiled.