"Misfortune"

"So... Is it bad? Anything we should worry about?" While reading over the letter, Hosea shook his head, "No... It just looks like an aunt of Amelie's found out about her parents... She must've saw you with her probably in town..." "She doesn't think we kindnapped Amelie or anything, right?" You stopped pacing and looked down at your older friend. "No, my dear, she just wants to meet you tomorrow morning by the train station in Rhodes..." "Isn't her Aunt from Saint Denis? That fancy place?" Hosea's red eyes shifted up to you and back at the letter, "If I remember correctly, yes!" You crossed your arms and looked towards the entrance to the camp, "Hopefully she'll pay me then... I didn't get shot for fun..." Hosea chuckled while you noticed someone approaching the camp on a horse. It wasn't someone you can recognize from where you're standing. Hosea looked the same way, "Who's that?" "Dunno, I don't even think that's any of our horses..." Dutch walked over with his hand by one of the pistols on his hips. He suddenly relaxed and extended his arms out for a hug. "Micah! Is that you, my boy?" To your surprise, it was Micah. You can now see the white hat and handlebar mustache. You just stood there in a mix of disbelief and anger. "Hosea..." The older man got up and grabbed your shoulders. In your attempt to process what you're looking at, he lead you away, knowing exactly what will happen if he didn't move you. "He... He's alive... Hosea... Micah..." "I know... Let's go over here before you kill someone..."

You dragged your feet on the ground while walking over to a small group sitting at one of the tables, where it just looked like they were talking with some drinks going around. Arthur, being one of the men, noticed your distress and Hosea helping you. "What's wrong with (Y/N)?" You sat down while Hosea explained. "Micah's back... He's speakin' to Dutch right now..." "That son of a..." John muttered while everyone at the table looked over, towards the stable. Right now Micah was climbing down from his horse and Dutch patting him on the back. "Just keep (Y/N) away from him..." Hosea gave Arthur a look, "Especially after the incident in Strawberry..." Micah shooting you had been kept between Arthur and Hosea.
With that stare, Arthur knew what the old man meant. "...Um... Yeah... Of course..." Arthur was just as speechless as you and John. "I'm gonna go talk to Dutch... I mean I have to now..." He walked away and you held your head with your hands. Arthur slide the drink he had over to you. "You look like you need this more than I do..." You lifted your head and accepted his offer, "..." You sighed and downed a huge portion of the alcohol. "What exactly happened in Strawberry? You've been quiet about it..." "You looked at John with pain in your eyes and shook your head. "One thing leads to another, then another, then another, then you get shot..." "I... Don't know what to say..." "Exactly..." You quickly chug down the rest of the drink. "There something you don't want us to know?" Uncle gave you a worried look. "No... I just don't wanna talk about it..." "Hmmm... Unless you and Micah 'ave been sneaking' around together..." Arthur bursted into laughter while John looked disgusted. You slammed your hands on the table, "ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! A skunk is more clean than him!" "Well I have heard skunks make good pets..." "And who told you that? A drunk guy?" "I thought he was pretty convincing." You sighed, "Anyways, I have to return the kid to her aunt tomorrow..." "The one from Strawberry?" "Yeah... Hopefully that goes well..." "I'm sure it will..." "I just hope she doesn't spill too much about us... I doubt her aunt would be too happy if she found out a group of outlaws have been watchin' after her..." "I don't even think the kid knows what outlaws are..." You turned to John, "Jack is about her age and knows exactly what we are..." "That's because he's been with us since he was born..." You laid your head on the table, "Oh, yeah.... That's right...."

"Hey! Guess who's back?!" Micah yelled in the middle of the camp with his arms open. Everyone nearby looked and earned a couple claps. You sighed, "I'm going to bed... Too much has happened tonight, thanks guys..." "Night then..." You waved back and walked to your tent.

You drove nails into the ground along with the closed flaps on your tent, hoping it will work like a lock. You really didn't want to be bothered. If someone needed you, it would have to wait until later. You took off your shoes and pants and sat on your cot. On the crate next to your bed was your book with the drawing that's been haunting you for months. The more you looked at it, the more you wanted to burn it. The eyes on the deer you've been desperately trying to perfect stared back at you. "Don't look at me like that!!" You yelled at the drawing and closed the book. Realizing the sudden outburst, you buried your face in the pillow and pulled the blanket over yourself.

"Whatcha yelling for, little one?" Sean yelled from outside. You lifted your head "Fuck off!!" "Jesus! Fine!" You slammed your head back down, hoping to fall asleep tonight.

"Your cutting them to big, they need to be smaller." You growled and stabbed the huge knife into the cutting board, where it went through and chips of wood flew off. "I've been cutting carrots for half of the fuckin' god damn forsaken day because they're cut the wrong way!! They're fucking carrots, they're not gonna taste any different!!!" "It's only been ten minutes..." An older man heard your yelling and came over. "We're low on damn supplies!! I'm just trying to save what we have!" "Pearson, What's going on?" The man that you've been arguing with turned to the man, "Hosea, tell her she needs to calm down." "Oh calm, I see." You grabbed the knife and repeatedly stabbed the remains of the carrot, "How. Can I. Be calm. With. You. BITCHING ABOUT A DAMN CARROT?!?!?!" Pearson crosses his arms, "If you did it right, we wouldn't have this problem now..." "THAT'S IT YOU MOTHERFUCKER!!!" You lunged at the cook, attempting to punch him. As the both of you were fighting, Arthur and a Native American man heard the commotion and ran over to break it up. "Hey! HEY!!" You were yanked off Mr. Pearson , but you kept flailing in Arthur's grasp. But you eventually accepted defeat and stopped. "That's better..." The other man helped Pearson up, "You alright?" "Yeah..." He wiped the blood from his nose, "Thanks, Charles."

Pearson looked at Hosea and Arthur as he still had you in a hold. "You need to get her under control..." "Dick!" You blurted out at the cook, but he didn't care. In a sarcastic tone, Arthur said, "Now are you gonna behave yourself?" "I guess... Can you put me down... I'm not a ragdoll!" "Nope, you're coming with me." This time, you were flung over Arthur's shoulder. "Hey, Hey! What're you doing?!" You were startled when he began walking. "We're just gonna talk." "Oh, so this is what they call talking nowadays?" By "talk" he's probably going to kick the shit out of you. You know Arthur's the camp enforcer and with his nature, this won't end well. Copper came running over with his tail wagging and attempting to jump on Arthur, but he ignored the dog. You were put on the back of a horse, where you sat up and watched Arthur throw a stick to distract t the dog. He sighed and looked at you. He crossed his arms and leaned against the stable post. The look he gave you was like a father about to lecture his kids. You crosses your legs and arms and looked away. "What then? You wanted to talk. So, spit it out." "I'd watch your mouth..." "I'm not a kid." "I didn't say you was... But you're actin' like one..." Your cheeks turned red. "What has you actin' up today? You were fine yesterday." "I... I don't know..." "You're a terrible liar..." You sighed and jumped down from the horse. "It's none of your concern..." "If you choose to ride with us, best to know each other." It took you a few moments. But you caved in. You sighed and looked at Arthur once more. "I'll talk, but I don't want you spreading it 'round camp... Not... The details at least..." "Okay..."

You sat on a rock across from Arthur, "I told you about My father... Shooting me... The day you and Hosea found me... And... Well after everything he's done to me... I guess I'm... Upset about it..." "Why'd he do that..." "Said, I was "no use" for him anymore..." "I'd be more than upset, if I were you." Your eyes shifted away, "You have no idea..." "Didn't you call him Kenny?" You snapped your head to Arthur realizing what you said about Kenny. You muttered, "Oh fuck me, dammit..." Swallowing the sudden lump in your throat, you nodded. "Listen! Its very, very complicated!" "What else has he done to you?" Arthur seemed to show concern and a bit of anger in his voice. You went silent again. "Did he touch you?" You shook your head, "No!" "Okay..." "I don't know if now is the best time to tell anyone..." He looked at you, waiting if you needed to say anything else. Seeing that he wasn't going crack anything out of you anymore, he breathed through his nose and pursed his lips. "Alright... I let you go for now... but you'll tell me sooner or later..."