the king's dead - taekook

word count: around 1.5 or 2k

note: this is really bad but i tried taekookluvvs !! sorry it took so long for me to finish this rq,,, 

summary: taehyung has someone kill his fiance, but it doesn't go the way he planned.

---

Jeon Jeongguk's funeral is a waste of time, Taehyung thinks.

Kneeling in front of the altar, Taehyung swallows down a tired sigh. He wonders how long it's been since this shitshow started. An hour, maybe, he doesn't know. Time is going by awfully slow. The practiced sobbing, the fake memories that spill from his lips like honey... there's nothing more tiring, but Taehyung doesn't have a choice. It's either this, or admit that he hired a hitman to kill his soon to be husband.

"Mr. Kim, I'm sorry about your loss," he hears from someone he doesn't care to recognize. He figures that it's someone from the cover of another magazine--- celebrity lawyers, powerful CEOs... It seems as if the funeral of his deceased fiance is some sort of bash for the elite. "This must be very hard on you."

Taehyung looks down and sadly nods, keeping his eyes from the man's. If anyone looks at him too closely, they'll see the lack of interest he has in this conversation.

"It is," he always answers, "But Jeongguk would want us all to smile."

A snort almost comes out when he says that. Out of all the damn lies he's been pulling out of his ass today, that's what he comes up with on the spot.

In reality, Jeongguk didn't care about anyone's happiness but his own. For the young heir, pleasure was derived from hotel hookups, bottles of whiskey... and most of all, money. He had too much count, too much to spend, and too little fucks to give.

Yet, when it came to Taehyung, his fiance was always empty-handed. The raven haired boy would give him Cartier earrings on his birthday and occasionally a kiss, but nothing more.

Taehyung didn't mind their arrangement then. Even though he had hated the arrogant boy from the start, Taehyung was okay with sacrificing his freedom for the family. The Kim group was built completely from the ground up, an underdog turned stallion. As the next heir to his father, Taehyung knew that they needed to secure their place in this shark-eat-shark world, and if that had meant auctioning him off to the sole Jeon heir, then so be it.

But that was until Taehyung had seen the article.

"What the hell does this mean?" he had asked his parents, the screen of his phone still lit underneath his curled fist. "'The Jeons take over the Kim group? Do you guys hear this slander? I'm going to kill whoever made up this baseless rumor---"

"It's not baseless," his mother muttered in a smaller voice than usual. "It's true, Taehyung-ah."

And to his disdain, it really was. Taehyung had cross checked every source he could find, on and offline. When he heard it from Jeongguk himself later on, his entire world started to crumble behind closed doors.

"Fine, fuck this!" Taehyung had shouted at Jeongguk, who stood there unimpressed by the hot tears running down his face. "Fuck you, and fuck this fucking engagement!"

Jeongguk shrugged. "Hate to break it to you, love. There's no getting out of it."

Taehyung stopped himself from opening the bedroom door he was about the storm out of. Painfully, he turns to Jeongguk. "What?"