Chapter 9

'She's here, she's here, she's here'

Hushed whispers filled the air, sifting through my hair, over my face, over my body; too warm against my cool skin.

'She is here, now'

I could understand it...or them, but was it a man or a woman? Howls of hot wind and loud whispers wrapped around me. What seemed to be a warm breeze turned into hot blades of wind across my body. The heat was becoming unbearable as the pain climbed on.

I felt my body go stiff, my knuckles digging into the... dirt...? clenching into tight fists. My breath came in quickened, short gasps. The smell of wet soil and pine trees engulfed my lungs as if it was the first breath I was taking. It flew through my body, awakening each part of it with an invigorating tug in each veins. I felt alive like never before even with the pain of the hot blows continuing its assault.

Was I dreaming?

No... this all felt too real, too vivid, too familiar.

A sudden thousand pricks pierced my back, tearing a scream so bloody out of myself, my eyes opened and I could finally see. The top of humongous trees lined my vision, with the moon in its center, still in the waxing crescent phase. I was in the forest...again ?

My whole body trembled, the burning in my back intensified to a point where it felt like it was tearing down my skin. 

Screams after screams ripped out of me, my throat growing raw in a matter moments.

I felt the veins in my eyes pulsate, amplifying with each beat. My eyes widened so much the strain on my veins became unbearable. Just when I thought that they would pop, a surge of current flew through and I was left utterly speechless.

The pain in my back calmed down until it was just a warm hum grazing my skin. My body slumped against the damp soil. My loud screams turned into deep gasps, I was still struggling for air.

But this was not why I was breathless. 

What I could see was beyond my comprehension. 

I could see everything, in the darkness. Everything that a normal human would not. The ridges of the tree trunks, the sway of each leaf in the wind and finally, the subtle dents in the moon.

I mustered all the strength I could to lift myself off the ground. My body was still in pain, with my back burning the most. 

How did I end up in the woods, again !?

And that's when a high pitched shriek left my mouth. I was only in my underwear, my body was covered in mud streaks and scratches. My shirt was a mess of ripped pieces on the ground... 

What the actual hell?

I started sweating bullets, shivering slightly from the wind blowing through. I was not just in the forest, I was deep inside the forest... too deep for wandering humans... enough for wild animals to live in. That thought immediately gave me the creeps, I did not want to come across any wolf.

Several leaf rustles caught my attention and I crouched on instinct. A group of deers skirted pass me and I released a long breath of relief, letting my head relax against the trunk behind me.

Worrying how I ended up here could come later. For now, I had to get home, as soon as possible. 

The only issue is, how am I gonna find my way back?

I stared at the moon for a couple of moments, trying to calm myself down before I reached a panic attack. I had to get myself under control.

I could hear the faint rush of water in the distance.