Chapter 8

Determination overtook my face as I took one last glance at myself, fixing my blond mane in a ponytail. The weather was warm and quite humid, a simple turquoise shorts and white shirt made my outfit. Few small cuts and dark bluish bruises marking my legs from my night escapade were left exposed.

I slipped on my sandals, urgently packing my shoulder bag with my necessities. I had this intense urge to find out what was going on. But getting answers to my question seemed quite impossible. How could I do that when I did not even have the slightest clue ?

I made my way down the stairs as quietly as possible. It was still early, my parents and Aunt Sarah were most probably asleep.
The door softly creaked open, early morning sun rays hitting my face. The air just felt nice on the skin, slightly cool from the woods.

" Where are you going?"

Sharply turning my neck, my eyes landed on Aunt Sarah peering curiously at me at the top of the stairs.
Damn this woman for almost giving me a heart attack.

She was still in her night robe, a soft lavender that complimented her orangey locks, which were a tangled mess.

An awful bed head, I thought wrinkling my nose.

I felt like a kid, having done something bad behind my parents' backs. It still felt weird talking to someone who knew you but you did not know a single thing about them, let alone living with them. Family or not, it was awkward.

"I, uh, I thought it would be nice to stroll the town again, get to know the area better"

Reaching me down, her eyes slid to the grandfather clock in the living room, clearly showing  it was 7.30 am. Then she took in my whole self, definitely spotting my cuts and bruises, but saying nothing of it.

The woman that seemed so carefree and crazy seemed so calculative when she was serious. She had eyes of a hawk that always seemed to notice every little thing.

"Well I hope you don't get lost again. Wouldn't want Demetri Frost running around tryna find you and bring you home again" she smirked at me. Well somebody was in a teasing mood early this morning.

I rolled my eyes at her. Ah that stoic guy. As much as I was thankful that he dropped me safely home, he still irked me. There was something about him that screamed D A N G E R.

"Not gonna happen. Well I wouldn't mind a free ride home. I'm just gonna check out the Uni campus. I still can't believe they accepted such a late admission"

Aunt Sarah giggled like a kid, pointing at herself,  "Well who could resist this beauty huh"

"Ah for the love of God, stop boasting around. I'll see you guys later in the evening."

_______________________________________________________________

The University was not a let down. The campus was quite nice and the students seemed very enthusiastic to welcome a new face. I would officially be starting my degree in a few days, I couldn't help but feel so ecstatic.

Moving here had not been easy, as I had to drastically change my Uni plans last minute. Everything that I had planned went down the drain. As much as I think it was my parents' fault, I couldn't blame them forever.

"It's for your own safety, Deidre"

Those words from my mother had shaken me beyond comprehension. I knew something was ultimately wrong.
All I could do for now was listen to them, and not ask questions.

I was glad I could still go to Uni here for the time being.

I went through the back, landing on a football pitch where a couple of guys were most probably practicing for future football matches.