Chapter Eleven

Hey everyone. I want ot thank you for taking the time to read! I know I'm not the best at updating, but I'm sure you understand that school and life and laziness gets in the way bsometimes. I really love writing, but I don't always have the right words. Thank you for being patient with me, it really means a lot!

If you like what I'm doing, please take a second to vote for this chapter and any others that you liked. And if you want to tell me how I'm doing - whether it be good or bad - please leave me a comment.

Always,Brielle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sirius had been hearing hushed voices around him. They faded in and out at intervals, though how much time passed between each set, Sirius had no concept of. The words that they uttered were majorly unintelligible, aside from one specific time, where he heard "...it's my fault..." followed by sounds of protest.

Sirius hadn't been able to feel much, but now he was able to take a physical scan of his body. He was lying down on what he assumed was a bed, as he could feel something plushy underneath him. He felt comfortable, as if he had swallowed the ambrosia of Greek mythology, but at the same time he felt stiff, as if he hadn't moved in years. Even through the intoxicating comfort, he could feel his body aching from head to toe, more intensely in his back, from his left shoulder to his right hip, and in his left hand. He hadn't been able to see anything around him; everything was just black, but he could tell from the weight of his eyelids that that was only due to the fact that his eyes were closed.

Opening his eyes proved to be more complicated than he had thought; it was as if his eyelids were sewn shut. However, he was eventually able to force them apart, only to immediately close them again. The light that had invaded his eyes was blaring and stark. He hadn't anticipated such a violent contrast to the blackness which he had experienced, and realized that he had to have been asleep for, at the least, a full day.

Before he attempted to open his eyes once again, he heard a voice softly saying his name, with the distinct tone of a question. It sounded so velvety and sweet, like heaven, but it was also as if it was the voice of a man who had just seen his family killed before him - hollow and empty. However, the angelic waver in the tone of the voice overpowered its' sorrow. For a moment, Sirius wondered if he had died, but he figured that he wouldn't end up in heaven if he had.

He heard the voice say his name again, and was able to place it to a face this time. His mouth twitched into a smile briefly as he cautiously opened his eyes for the second time, though he felt an aching in his chest, for hearing one he held so dear in such pain. The light still hurt, but it was more bearable now. He felt the light pressure of the speaker's soft hand on his arm as his eyes adjusted and the room became clear. He was in the infirmary; it made sense with the way he was feeling, though he couldn't remember what had happened to get him there.

"Sirius..." the voice said again, softly. It sounded more than painful now, it had evolved into the sound of regret.

Sirius turned his head to look at the one to whom the voice belonged, "Hi, Remus." He was surprised at the sound of his own voice; dry and hollow sounding, weak even, like nothing he had heard from himself before. It was similar to Remus' voice, but different. Sirius' voice was weak because of physical condition, whereas the weakness in Remus' voice was mentally driven. "Is there water somewhere?"

Remus nodded and stood, walking to a table at the foot of the bed. Sirius watched as he poured a glass of water from a pitcher and then returned to his side. Sirius noticed that Remus had a guilty look on his face. He also noticed the way in which his hand shook as he poured the water. He wondered what had happened to him. Remus placed the water on a bedside table, "Let me help you sit up."