Chapter 19: Set a Schedule

Start from the beginning

We - being the global patheogenetic research community - were there. We had the vaccine, but just needed to make sure it'd work for enough different types of people. And for anyone who didn't understand the process, this appeared quite cruel. So I couldn't share that part.

"I just think about poor Gram." His mom sighed. "Locked in her house. Only contact is her grocery courier."

"I assume once there is a widely available vaccine, she'll be in the first group of people to get it." That much was true, higher risk subpopulations were given precedence in new vaccine administrations. I smiled tightly, and we fell into silence.

"Hey Maggie." I was grateful when Noah shifted the conversation.

I looked up from my plate of cold noodles that were leftovers from the cafeteria. Cold noodles were go-to meal these nights. I didn't like to eat at the kitchen table, so I always ate on the floor propped against my bed.

"We've been talking." He glanced at his mom, who nodded then both of them smiled.

"What?"

"Can we send you something? In the post?"

"Umm, sure. That's really nice." I smiled. "Thanks."

"No, is it safe, love?" They all looked at me solemnly.

I nodded, hoping it offered some reassurance. "Yes. Parcelforce is still safe. I can disinfect the box once it arrives, if it'd make you feel better."

"It would." Noah's Mom nodded firmly. "Thanks."

I had no idea what they were talking about until seven days later, when a large box appeared at my apartment. I left it on the hallway floor, walked in for some disinfectant spray, then covered the entire box in a misty cloud. When the disinfectant spray settled, I rotated the box and covered all six sides, then fanned the mist away from my face. Satisfied with my efforts, I brought box inside and set it on the floor.

"You all shouldn't have!" When I Face Timed Noah immediately, his face was all smiles.

"You got it? Mum was tracking it online, so we hoped it got there when you were home." I nodded, so he prompted, "Did you open it yet?"

"No, just sprayed it off. Figured you could see my reaction." My reaction ended up being a bit anti-climactic. My eyes widened, then I frowned in confusion. Inside was a bunch of plastic containers surrounded with ice packs. I pulled them out and peeked inside.

"You sent me food?" He nodded in excitement.

"A week ago?" The thought twitched my stomach. Bangers and mash hot from a London food truck was one thing, week old food I wasn't sure about.

"Nope," He grinned brightly. "Mum rushed it through Parcelforce this morning. She got tired of watching you eat cold noodles."

That must have been quite expensive.

"That's very sweet." I smiled and glanced in the containers. "Please tell her thanks, but it's Saturday, so I'll save them until the next family dinner night."

"Nope," he replied firmly with a wide grin. "Put it in the fridge, we're having dinner together tonight."

"Really?"

"Yes. Proper dinner date."

The idea placed a warmness into my heart.

"Okay," I glanced up at my clothes rack, the blue sweater dress was buried in there somewhere. "Give me a minute, I'll change."

"I won't complain if you take the phone with you, love." My abandoned phone on the bed spoke out.

"Very funny!" I pulled my lab coats forwards and slipped the dress off the hanger.