|11| Resistance Is Useless: Part III

PART III:

“If that’s what I think it is, I’m sorry but I can’t eat my grandma’s intestines.” Z says, with a drenched candy cane bandana clutched in one hand and cleaning mitt in another.

 “It looks more like what a herbivores regurgitate.” I mention, standing right next to him. Yellow bandanna locked around my neck and my purple shirt stained with smears of white after-marks the dried up soapy mixture left. We’re talking to no one in particular, just standing in the hallway and staring through the tiny door that leads to the dining table. I think we both are in shock and I don’t know about Z but I’m scared too. I know Bravo will make us eat that. Whatever that is.

“It’s the same thing, my grandma’s a vegetarian.” He says without looking at me.

“Really?” I say, because I could stand here all day and talk about his vegetarian grandma, but I don’t think I can bring myself to approach the dining table; where calamity is lying in a glass bowl, dressed in green, waiting for us. “Wait our grandma?”

“No, um, both our dad’s parents passed away a while back. I’m talking about my maternal grandma.” Apparently he doesn’t want to approach the possible cause of his demise either.

“Tell me more.” I say.

“Well, Wall-e is really attached to her. And he was attached to grandpa too.” I notice how he says was and not is, that means that mami’s dad has passed away. “Mom had a job when  Wall-e was born and there was nobody to take care of him. So mom used to leave him at our grandparents house. You've seen the black goggles he wears?” he only needs to tip his chin a little to look down at me.

“Yeah.” I say.

“Well it was grandpa’s gift to him when he passed away.” I feel terrible, I don’t know if it’s the debacle of Bravo’s cooking or the fact that I thought Wall-e was crazy for wearing those goggles.

“HEY!” A very excited Annie skips down the stairs and collides into Z, he motions with his finger for her to hush, to which the bright eyed clueless girl cheers, ”I MISSED YOU!”

“Hey when did you come back?” Bravo enters the hallway, wiping her hands with a cloth.

“Just now.” I answer, while Z nods.

“Freshen up, lunch is ready.” She smiles a genuine smile, a smile so warm and loving you’d think she’s baked you a cake for your birthday. But no, she’s not capable of doing that.

Z: I think I’ll hit the shower.

Me: Yeah me too.

“But what about lunch?” She calls out as we split up, Z topples two stairs at a time to his refuge and I rush through the TV room and lock myself in my room.

“But guys I ordered burgers and fries!” I hear Bravo yell. Immediately lightening zaps through my back bone, I jerk the door open like a cop and run back to the hallway. I see Z toppling four stairs at a time to food, “Did you say burgers and fries?” he sequels like a girl who just touched Harry Style’s curls.

“Then what’s that on the table?” I ask extremely happy yet, cautious.

“Oh, that’s the coleslaw, I made it myself.”

That explains the problem.

I land my hand on her shoulder and turn her around, “Thank you for not making the burgers and fries yourself.” She pouts and furrows her eyebrows. Z is so excited; he practically shovels Annie, Bravo and me into the dining room, in an attempt to get in there first.