Never Make A Promise 11

Start from the beginning

"Larry's home," he said. I hardly heard him. He went upstairs and I, unsure if I was supposed to follow him or not, just stood there awkwardly by the front door. A grumpy looking woman, probably in her forties, wearing a typical maid uniform came inside the house and closed the door behind her, all with her barely noticing me.

"The kid just plays his music however loud he wants without having consideration of others," she muttered, taking her coat off and stuffing it in the closet right by the door. She turned and looked at me and jumped.

"Oh, I'm so sorry dear. Didn't see you there," she said to me.

"That's okay. My fault for being so quiet," I shouted.

"Is there something I can help you with?" she asked loudly. The music stopped, so I lowered my voice.

"Um, I'm Hayley, Da-"

"Oh Damon's Chemistry partner! Yes, he said something about bringing you here today. Dear me, you really are as pretty as he says," she said, looking me up and down. My cheeks went a little pink.

"Thank you, I didn't know he talked about me," I said. I knew he talked about me. I just didn't know he talked about me HERE.

"Please, the boy hardly shuts his mouth about you," she said.

"Katie!" Damon said joyfully, bouncing down the stairs. He came between us and wrapped his arms around her. I heard him mumbling something to her and she gave a knowing nod to him after he released her, but smiled.

"I see," she mouthed. I looked between him and her, confused. They saw my expression and laughed. Damon went around me and helped me with my jacket. He handed it to Katie and she put in the same closet she had just put hers. Damon came back to my side and put his arm around me.

"Don't worry about it," he said to me. We walked up the huge staircase right across from the front hall and, fifty steps later, we came into a huge hall. This place in general, I would say, was just huge. Cherry wood doors with gold knobs lined the white marble walls and darker wood floors, there was a long crimson red carpet trailing from one end of the hall to the other, and both ends of the hall had two windows- at least ten feet high and five feet wide.

"Wow," was all I managed to get out. Damon pulled his lips up to one side in a half smile.

"Nice?" he asked, leading me down the right side.

"Very," I said, though it did sound more like a guess than an answer. A door from the opposite end of the hall slammed and footsteps starting coming up behind us. Damon groaned and turned around, taking his arm off me. I turned too and saw Damon's little brother. He looked.....a little like Damon. Maybe a little, like the hair, but some things were different. While Damon had the beautiful ocean blue eyes, Larry had green eyes that looked like they would glow in the dark and he also looked paler than Damon. Larry was about a few inches shorter than Damon, less built up in muscles, and had a little bit of a dangerous presence. Damon had a little bit of one too, but Larry's was a bit stronger. And I sensed a little tension between the two brothers.

"This the famous Hayley?" Larry asked, smiling at me. I was surprised at how deep his voice was. Pretty darn deep for a thirteen year old. It matched Damon's.

"Famous Hayley?" I repeated, raising an eyebrow at Damon. He cleared his throat and actually looked a little embarrassed.

"Oh, you're not Hayley?" Larry said, smile disappearing.

"No, I'm Hayley. I just didn't know I was so famous," I said, teasing Damon. Payback bud, I thought.

"What is it with people?" Damon mumbled.