2.02 » drowning isaac

Start from the beginning

"Hold him." the veterinarian ordered again.

"We're trying!" Derek responded. The pair took Isaac by the shoulders and forced him to the bottom long enough for him to black out. He floated back up slowly.

If it wasn't for him lightly exhaling, Maggie would've began to panic.

Deaton lowered his voice. "Now remember: only I talk to him. Too many voices will confuse him and draw him out. Isaac? Can you hear me?"

"Yes..." he responded shakily. "I can hear you."

"This is Dr. Deaton. I'd like to ask you a few questions. Is that all right?"

"Yes."

"I want to ask you about the night you found Erica and Boyd. I want you to remember it for me in as vivid detail as possible, like you're actually there again."

"I... I don't wanna do that. I don't— I don't wanna do that. I don't wanna do that," he repeated, sounding increasingly anxious. The lights above began to flicker and the boys reached to stop him from coming back. She didn't have the heart.

"Isaac, it's all right. Just relax. They're just memories. You can't be hurt by a memory."

"I don't wanna do that."

"It's all right—"

"I don't wanna do that."

Magnolia placed her hand on his knee, patting it gently. Almost as if he knew, his flailing ceased.

"Relax. Good."

Deaton paused to assure he was efficiently calmed. "Now, let's go back to that night. To the place you found Erica and Boyd. Can you tell me what you see? Is there some kind of building? A house?"

"It's not— It's not a house. It's stone. I think marble."

"That's perfect. Can you give me any other descriptors?"

"It's dusty... and so empty..." he sputtered. Isaac's eyes stayed glued to the ceiling.

"Like an abandoned building?"

The thunder outside cracked, and the lights began to sporadically flicker again. Isaac's breathing became jagged.

"Isaac?" Deaton whispered. "Isaac?"

"Someone's here," he informed, panicky. "Someone's here." His hand latched onto Magnolia's arm, startling her. All but Deaton gave her a knowing look.

"Isaac, relax—"

"No, no, no, they see me! They see me!" His flailing started up again and he squeezed her skin. Maggie didn't know what to do.

"Just memories," he soothed. "You won't be hurt by your memories. Just relax. Relax."

Isaac calmed down again and released her but his lip still quivered from the sharp temperature of the water.

"Good," Deaton reassured. "Now, tell us what you see. Tell us everything."

"I hear him. He's talking about the full moon, about being out of control when the moon rises."

"Is he talking to Erica?"

"I think so. I can't... I can't see her, I c-can't see either of them." Isaac's eyes squinted at the wall trying to focus.

"Can you hear anything else?"

"They're worried what they'll do during the moon. They're worried that they're gonna hurt each other."

Derek's face fell in concern. He whispered, "If they're locked together on the full moon, they're gonna tear each other apart."

Deaton talked to Isaac more sternly. "We need to find them right now. Can you see them?"

"No," he answered.

"Do you know what kind of room it is? Is there any kind of a marker? A number on a door? A sign?"

Isaac's breath hitched. He jolted into a sitting position. "They're here! They... they..."

"It's all right," Deaton soothed.

"No!" Isaac jumped, making water fly over the tub.

"Just tell us—"

"They see me! They found me! They're here!" He shouted through trembling lips.

Derek's jaw clenched. "This isn't working. Isaac where are you?"

Maggie shook her head but he ignored her, as usual.

"I can't see them, it's too dark!"

"Just tell me where you are."

Deaton matched his heightened tone. "You're confusing him-"

"I can't see!" Isaac exclaimed.

"Isaac, where are you?" Derek demanded. He pushed him deeper into the water. Most of the ice had already melted. "Just tell me where you are!"

"His heart rate," Deaton advised. "He could go into shock—"

Scott nearly lunged at him. "Derek, let him go!"

"Isaac, where are you? What did you see?"

"A vault! It's a bank vault!" He leaped back up, this time coming out of the trance. "I saw it! I saw the name."

Isaac stood up out of the water and wrapped a towel around his freezing body. Maggie grabbed a couple more off the counter and covered him again for good measure.

"It's, uh, B-Beacon Hills First National Bank. It's an abandoned bank, and they're keeping them locked inside, inside the vault." He looked at Stiles, then around to the rest of their facial expressions. "What?"

"You don't remember what you said right before you came out of it, do you?" he asked.

Maggie rubbed Isaac's shoulder solemly.

"No..."

Stiles looked down "You said when they captured you, that they dragged you into a room, and that there was a body in it."

"What body?"

"Erica," he sighed. "You said it was Erica."