And then the fucker punched me in the face. That was a lovely distraction. I didn’t get back to sleep easily when I went back to bed, and when I eventually fell into unconsciousness, it was a rocky sleep. I kept waking and tossing and turning. I knew that I was in some of Ethan’s nightmares, but I never mentioned it to him. The last time I did he got all defensive and it ended in an argument with him storming off.

It was easier just to humour him and keep my mouth shut.

My head was getting fuzzy with all of those serious thoughts so early in the morning, so I closed my eyes again, rolling back into my pillow. I could feel Ethan glaring at me and knew that my bliss would last approximately two seconds.

I felt my blankets being torn off of me and the icy cold bit at my naked body like needles. I grinned at Ethan’s gasp at my butt-naked sleeping arrangement. What? I couldn’t get comfortable last night so I figured going incognito was the best option! I didn’t know he was going to rip my blankets off the next morning, like he always does when I don’t get out of bed...

He threw my blankets on top of me again. “Jesus, you could have warned me!” his voice held a slight nervous stutter to it and I relished in the fact that I’d shocked him.

“Well, maybe you should respect my privacy!” I retorted, sitting up in bed and reaching for my discarded boxers on the ground, which I pulled on. “R-e-s-p-e-c-t,” I spelled in the sassiest voice I could muster as I hopped out of the bed and walked past him to the bathroom.

I heard him grumble something as I kicked the bathroom door shut, leaving it unlocked if he felt the need to come in and verbally abuse me about the length of time I was taking in the shower.

I don’t know why it amused me so much to shock Ethan with my nudeness... Then again, I don’t know why I did anything.

Forty-five minutes later, Ethan and I were decked out in our black uniforms, standing in front of the committee that consisted of the Captain and three of his closest associates. I thought the Captain was a bit of a dick, but Ethan had warned me numerous times to keep this to myself. You’d swear I was going to tell the whole faculty I thought our boss was an asshole! And the one time I actually did do that, I was drunk, so it didn’t count.

“Agents, thank you for meeting with us,” Captain Dawson gestured for us to take a seat. We were seated facing the four members of the committee on the other side of the table. Slightly intimidating – just the way they liked it.

“No problem, Sir,” Ethan replied as he sat. I rolled my eyes. He was such an ass-licker.

I just gave a tiny, moody nod. I wanted them to know that this hour of the morning was a violation of my rights.

“I’m sure you’re not in any doubts about why we called you here today,” Dawson started, resting his hands on the table. There was a bunch of papers in a two identical brown, paper folders next to him. Jesus Christ, there had to be at least one-hundred sheets in those things. Ethan and I would get the luxury of reading the whole thing, I was sure. I’d bet my salary they were our case files.

I’d just get Ethan to read it and give me a summary.

“No, Sir,” Ethan automatically responded. Fucking hell, would he ever lose the ‘Sir’? It was giving Dawson an ego, not that his head could get much bigger.

“Well, I can tell you that you won’t be leaving the country for this case, which is a good thing, as we can keep a closer eye on you two from our home-land, if you ever needed our assistance.” I resisted rolling my eyes. I was sure that wherever we went in the world, the Agency would have our piss-breaks recorded and kept for safe-keeping for the next fifty years. Dawson always tried to downplay how much power the Agency had over its Agents. This was because of a resistance that happened ten years ago, when Agents discovered that their entire lives had been watched and documented by the higher powers.