Chapter Twenty-Four

Ethan

"Look at you," Harry said in a sneering, disgusted voice, "you're a fucking pathetic loser who's trying to make up for his tiny dick by holding a big gun to innocent, defenceless people's heads."

He was going to push Kyle or Stephanie too far... I could feel it. But I think he was too far gone in his bitterness and ultimate quest to destroy everyone and anyone associated with Michael and Dawson to notice.

I think I was too far gone, too. But I was far more subtle in my rage – at least for now.

"Harry," I warned him quietly. I could see the vein in his forehead pulsing and his anger was killing me. He was so affected by this, I couldn't stand it. I wanted more than anything to kill both of them right now, but I knew I couldn't.

Kyle's cheeks went red with anger. "I should have fucking killed you when I had the chance, you asshole! If I'd known you were wearing a bulletproof vest I would have aimed for your stupid fat head!"

My eyes snapped from Stephanie to Kyle in an instant.

Any hesitation and fear I'd been harbouring for Harry's reckless taunting flew out the window. Anything other than the deadly crash of ferocity that hit me the second that blonde bastard uttered those fateful words was irrelevant to me.

I was gone beyond being sensible and careful around these people. My mind was too far gone to even consider the two hostages. All I could think was 'he was the one who nearly took Harry from me'.

I was right back in Hugh's old sitting room, on my knees and sobbing at what I had thought was Harry's dead body.

"Oh, great comeback, Kyle! What are you, five? Did you seriously call my head fat and stupid? You're a fucking moron!"

My eyes flashed from Kyle's face to Harry's for a moment, incredulously. Was he going to ignore what Kyle had just said? Did he seriously care more in winning an insulting match than confronting the person who tried to kill him in cold blood?

Kyle was the reason Harry had been in a coma. This motherfucker's cheeks were reddening so fast, I knew that he knew. He knew my deadly stare was directed at him. I wondered if he knew I was going to kill him. I wanted to witness the life being stripped from him the way he had tried to do it to Harry.

The way he had done it to Grant Jefferson and the nurse lying to the left of me and God only knows how many others.

Stephanie kept flickering her eyes to me nervously as Harry and Kyle continued to argue. It seemed they had thought they had gotten away with it; now that Harry hadn't noticed.

They were so very wrong.

"Everyone quiet!" I roared, my voice shaking. I couldn't control the rage within me – I knew this scene would haunt my dreams for weeks if I made it out alive. I had never envisioned these two having such a key role in this.

Kyle and Stephanie's reddening faces turned a shocking pale quite quickly.

Harry still didn't get it. I wanted to smack him and hug him at the same time – he was being his usual moronic self but I was finally able to get justice for him. I struggled to hold onto the anger towards him now – not when my mind was suddenly dragged back to the past. Not when I still felt so overwhelmed that he was even still alive.

"Repeat what you just said," I snarled to Kyle when he continued to give me that fake confused and cocky look. I wanted so badly to wipe that cockiness off of his face with a bullet. But the tiny part of my brain that held any rationality controlled me. I had to think of the doctor and the nurse.