16. The Price of Freedom's High

Start from the beginning

"Let me ask you a question," he began saying as he placed his phone down and picked up a glass of champagne, "What if Pakistan marched into Mumbai tomorrow and you knew they were going to drag your daughters into a soccer stadium for execution, and you could just stop it with a flick of the switch. Wouldn't you? Wouldn't you all?"

"Not if it was your switch," the Councilman said as he threw the glass down. Lucy quietly and gently placed her shield against the wall as she pulled out a knife holding it in one hand with the gun in the other. Rollins handed a gun to Pierce who held it up in front of the Councilman. At that moment, Natasha disguised as the Councilwoman kicked the Councilman down and began to fight Pierce causing him to drop the gun. Lucy made her move on the three agents and threw the knife at one while shooting the other before knocking out Rollins. Natasha took a gun and held it up at Pierce.

"I'm sorry," she spoke as she pressed her temple taking off the face disguise and mask she wore. Lucy walked up next to the assassin. "Did we step on your moment?" Natasha handed the gun to Councilman Yen as she began to walk over to the computer. Pierce looked from the Councilman holding him at gunpoint to the Agent as she held up her own gun. He looked over to Natasha.

"What are you doing?" Rockwell questioned.

"She's disabling all of security protocol and dumping all the secrets onto the Internet," Pierce replied.

"Including Hydra's," Natasha spoke.

"And S.H.I.E.L.D.'s. If you do this, none of your past is going to remain hidden. Are you sure you're ready for the world to see you as you really are?"

"Are you?"

"Two down, one to go," Hill informed the three soldiers. Lucy looked out the window. She looked back to the computer. Restricted Access.

"Disabling the encryption is an executive order," Pierce spoke. "It takes two Alpha Level members."

"Don't worry," Lucy spoke up causing everyone to look at her. "Company's coming." Everyone looked out the window to see a helicopter land. The door opened as Nick walked in. Pierce had a slightly frightened look on his face.

"Did you get my flowers?" he questioned as Fury walked over next to Lucy. "I'm glad you're here, Nick."

"Really? Because I thought you had me killed," Fury said walking forward.

"You know how the game works."

"So why make me head of S.H.I.E.L.D.?"

"Because you were the best and the most ruthless person I ever met."

"I did what I did to protect people."

"Our enemies are your enemies, Nick. Disorder. War. Just a matter of time before a dirty bomb goes off in Moscow, or an EMP fries Chicago. Diplomacy? Holding action, Nick. A band-aid. And you know where I learned that. Bogota. You didn't ask. You just did what had to be done. I can bring order to the lives of seven billion people by sacrificing twenty million. It's the next step, Nick. If you have the courage to take it."

"No. I have the courage not to." Fury grabbed Pierce's arm and began to walk toward the large computer holo-screen.

"Retinal scanner active," the computers AI spoke. Pierce chuckled.

"You don't think we've wiped your clearance from the system?" he questioned turning to Nick as Natasha pulled a gun out pointing it at Pierce.

"I know you erased my password. Probably deleted my retinal scan. But if you want to stay ahead of me, Mr. Secretary-" Nick pulled up his eyepatch, "-You need to keep both eyes open." The two moved to complete the retina scan.

"Alpha Level confirmed. Encryption code accepted. Safeguards removed." Pierce looked at Fury in shock.

"Six minutes," Hill informed. The computer showed the transfer had completed.

"Done," Natasha said looking at her phone. "And it's trending." The sound of a button being pressed could be heard as the Councilmen began to fall to the floor, the pins on their jackets flaring. Lucy, Natasha, and Fury pointed their guns toward Pierce.

"Unless you want a two-inch hole in your sternum, I'd put that gun down," Pierce informed. "That was armed the moment you pinned it on." The three put their guns down.

"Thirty seconds, Cap," Hill informed Steve after a few minutes. Lucy heard the Captain begin to answer, accidentally answering to all the com links.

"Charlie lo-" Lucy looked up at Natasha after hearing Steve's sudden stop before looking out the window.

"Algorithm reached," and Insight crew member spoke.

"We are go to target," Pierce replied.

"Charlie lock," Steve said. Lucy walked over to the window as the Helicarriers positioned their guns to point at each other indicating Hill had changed the target.

"Okay, Cap, get out of there," Lucy spoke.

"Fire now."

"But Steve-" Hill was cut off.

"Do it! Do it now!" Everyone looked out the window and watched as the Helicarriers began shooting at each other.

"What a waste," Pierce said in disappointment. Lucy took in a deep breath preventing tears from falling as she turned around.

"So, you still on the fence about Rogers' chances?" she asked.

"Time to go, Councilwoman. This way. Come on. You're going to fly me out of here."

"No," Fury spoke. "You know, there was a time I would've taken a bullet for you."

"You already did. You will again, when it's useful." Lucy watched Natasha as electricity shocks ran through her arm to the pin disarming it and causing the red head to fall, passing out. Pierce armed the pin but turned when he heard the sound of a gun. Lucy had walked up next to Fury and shot at Pierce twice causing him to back up and fall into the glass screen, breaking it. Fury walked over to Natasha.

"Romanoff," he began saying trying to wake her, "Natasha. Natasha! Come on!"

"Ow," Natasha said after a few seconds. "Those really do sting." Lucy began to help Natasha stand as Fury grabbed the Agent's shield. After Natasha quickly changed into her Black Widow uniform, the three got into the helicopter. Lucy gasped when she saw the last airborne Helicarrier crash into the building.

"Please tell me you got that chopper in the air!" Sam yelled into the com link.

"Sam, where are you?" Natasha questioned, yelling for Sam to hear over the destruction.

"41st floor! Northwest Corner!"

"We're on it! Stay where you are!"

"Not an option!" The three in the helicopter looked up at the building to see Sam break through the window. Fury quickly turned the helicopter on its side as Sam fell through the open door, almost falling out the other side. Lucy and Natasha pulled him back as the helicopter leveled out.

"41st floor! 41st!" Sam yelled pointing to the building.

"It's not like they put the floor numbers on the outside of the building," Nick said looking back to the three. Lucy looked to the Helicarrier as it continued to crash into the building.

"Hill! Where's Steve? Have you got a location on Rogers?" she questioned into the radio as the Helicopter flew away from its location.

"Stark, he's still on the Helicarrier," Hill replied. "Though I know nothing else." The helicopter flew back around. Lucy caught sight of falling debris and saw what looked to be a man wearing red, white and blue falling into the river below.