14. Y-E-S Spells Yes

Start from the beginning

"They thought I could help the cause. I also helped my own."

"Hydra died with the Red Skull," Steve spoke.

"Cut off one head, two more shall take its place."

"Prove it," Lucy said to him daringly.

"Accessing archive." The smaller monitors began showing files and pictures. "Hydra was founded on the belief that humanity could not be trusted with its own freedom. What we did not realize is that if you try to take that freedom, they resist. The war taught us much. Humanity needed to surrender its freedom willingly. After the war, S.H.I.E.L.D. was founded. And I was recruited. The new Hydra crew. A new parasite inside S.H.I.E.L.D. For 70 years, Hydra has been secretly feeding crisis. Weeping war. And when history would not cooperate-" the video footage showed the red Soviet star of the Winter Soldier's arm, "-history was changed."

"That's impossible," Natasha said. "S.H.I.E.L.D. would've stopped you."

"Accidents will happen-" a picture of a newspaper talking about Howard and Maria Starks death showed, "-Hydra created a world so chaotic that humanity is finally ready to sacrifice its freedom to gain security. Once the purification process is complete, Hydra's new world order will arise. We won, Captain. Your death amounts to the same as your life. A zero-sum." Steve punched the screen, breaking the glass. The face showed up on a smaller screen. "As I was saying."

"What's on this drive?" Lucy asked, getting out of Steve's grip.

"Project Insight requires insight. So I wrote an algorithm."

"What kind of algorithm? What does it do?"

"The answer to your question is fascinating. Unfortunately, you shall be too dead to hear it." A safety door began to close in front of the elevator doors. Steve threw his shield at the doors but ended up having it bounce off and ricochet. Natasha's phone began to beep when she was informed of a danger heading their way.

"Steve, Stark," she began saying, "we got a bogie. Short-range ballistic. 30 seconds tops."

"Who fired?" Lucy asked.

"S.H.I.E.L.D."

"I am afraid I have been stalling, Captain." Steve ran over to the grate behind them and pulled it open. Natasha took the flash drive and ran over to Steve with Lucy. "Admit it. It's better this way. We are both of us... Out of time." The three jumped into the grate as the missile hit the building. Steve blocked falling debris with his shield, covering himself along with Natasha, Lucy using her own shield.

When the explosion ended, the whole place was on fire, debris covering the small group. The three stayed close. Natasha was knocked unconscious by the falling debris. Steve pushed a large rock out of the way as he began to stand up. He looked at Lucy who had stood up letting her get out first pulling Natasha out with her. Steve got out after and carried Natasha back to the truck they left at the gate, quickly leaving with the two females when Quinjet's began to fly in the direction of the destroyed camp. They got in the truck, laying Natasha in the back seat, and driving back to D.C. Natasha had woken up along the way. Steve drove to Sam's house. The three got out of the truck and walked to the back door of the house, knocking on the door. Sam pulled the blinds up and opened the door.

"Hey man," Sam said, possibly just getting in from a morning run.

"I'm sorry about this," Steve said.

"We need a place to lay low," Lucy spoke in an almost raspy voice.

"Everybody we know is trying to kill us," Natasha said.