First Mistake

"We have to turn back now Brukros!" The voice strikes no sign of acknowledgment from the changeling in question. His hands continue to press tirelessly at an assortment of buttons, hoping to bring the old machine back to life before it is too late.

"Brukros!"

There is still no response aside from a sharp inhale of breath. The sound tainted with a hint of annoyance and anxiety that he cannot afford to express in his work. He has done this countless times before, yet the sudden rush of endorphins that ease their way into his blood still found a way out into the corridor around him. He tries not to let it get to him.

Yet the machine still showed no sign of life. When they had received the task at hand it had seemed simple at face value. Just another con job to help settle their debts back home. By heavens had they been wrong, but a mission was a mission. It had to be completed no matter how nasty the circumstances might become.

They had yet to fail a job and this would not become the first.

Click

Suddenly, the machine began to quake in place, before taking a shuddering first breath.

He nearly grins as he opens the vault door, gazing upon the various treasures and belongings of the local emperor.