Part 8: An Accident

At six 'o clock, Ari was stirring SmartGround and herbs in a skillet, holding a wooden spoon with a lobster claw oven mitt. Lee stood next to them at the cutting board, chopping lettuce, while Heather gathered plates, silverware and cups on the kitchen table.

Storm wandered into the kitchen, hands in his pockets. "Um. Can I help?"

"Sure." Ari turned. "Why don't you help Heather set the table. You all want to eat outside? It's nice out."

Lee and Heather agreed. Storm looked over Ari once, taking in their crisp pink apron and lobster mitt. His small smile faded when he looked up at Heather. She met his eyes once, her elegant face inscrutable.

"Can you grab the dressings and the lemonade?" she asked.

"Sure." Opening the big metal fridge, Storm looked over the contents. "Is everyone here vegetarian?"

Ari straightened, glancing at Heather and Lee. "Um. Heather and Chris are. I'm, uh..." Then, Ari frowned. "Where is Chris, anyway?"

"I dunno. They dropped me off at the center, but Ms. Clayton brought me back," Heather replied, gathering the dishes.

"Willow was here?" Ari asked. "When? Why didn't she stay?"

Heather shrugged a shoulder as she went towards the back door. "I dunno, I think she said she had some work to do."

"Oh." Ari was quiet a moment, turning back to the stove. Heather went out the back before Ari turned back. "Where did Chris say they were going?"

"Dunno!" Heather called back.

"Hmm." Ari scratched their chin with the lobster claw, thinking.

"Why are you wearing that? It's not like the wooden spoon is gonna burn you," Lee pointed out.

Blinking out of their thoughts, Ari made pinching strikes towards Lee with the lobster mitt.

Laughing, Lee held up her hands. "You're a shapeshifter, isn't that redundant?"

Ari grimaced, glancing furtively at Storm. Trying to gather all the cups, silverware, salad dressing, and lemonade into his arms, Storm didn't hear or didn't notice. Biting his lip, he made slow, careful steps towards the back door.

"Uh, Storm." Ari raised their brows. They saw the outcome of Storm's attempt well before it happened. "The Guinness record for most kitchen items in one trip belongs to me, I'm afraid."

"It's fine, I got it."

Just at the end of the kitchen, a glass slipped out of Storm's arms, smashing on the wood floor. "Oh no—" Three salad dressing containers went next, shooting arcs of Hidden Valley Ranch and Zesty Italian against the counters. "Oh, shit!" With the precarious balancing act broken, the rest of the glasses gave way, shattering on the floor. "Fuck!"

Standing with fists full of silverware, Storm gaped for a moment at the mess, then looked up at Ari. "I'm sorry."

"That's all right. We'll just—" Taking a careful step around the glass shards, Ari reached for the broom behind the refrigerator. Standing a step away and within Ari's range, Storm winced, hiding his face behind one shoulder and instinctively raising a guarding hand.

Slowly withdrawing the broom, Ari watched Storm's face. They watched the boy's expression smooth out after a moment, watched their defenses drop.

"Sorry," Storm said quietly.

"Hey. It's okay. It's just some glasses. It was an accident, it happens." Ari paused, tilting their head. "Okay?"

Storm studied their face a moment, then gave a tight nod.