11 ✙ Betting with Gambled Trust

Start bij het begin

"I told you to keep your necklace away from me," Renvir said, a mix of anger and pain laced his voice.

"I'm sorry, I-"

"See, she does not care!"

The Celest's glow brightened as her patient took a step toward both Sandor and her. His shadow cut across her body. Before she could protest, he flinched and let out a groan. Gray dots popped up on his two lower arms, and his aura vanished. Renvir leaned against the wall, grasping his upper arm.

"See what you did to him? If his spots yellow and a Core Reformer were to see him, he would be killed!" Sandor hissed.

Asa stood up, anger boiling beneath her skin. She wasn't the only one at fault here. Clicks seeped out of her mouth. With a thrashing tail, she lowered her fangs, ready to defend herself.

"That's enough, Sandor!" Renvir interrupted.

"But-"

"I am tired of you telling me what I should and should not do. Let me live my last days how I wish."

His friend's wings sagged, a pained expression painted his face.

"Fine. But do not say I did not warn you." Sandor's teeth grated together as he spoke. Then he left, slamming the door behind him. Renvir let out a heavy exhale, his tense muscles relaxing. Despite his relief, he turned his back to her.

"Leave."

A sharp pain shot through Asa's chest. The wind teased at the door; it's banging mirrored her heart.

"Leave?"

He turned his head toward her. While his face softened, all happiness had left.

"I do not wish for you to see me like this." She could see tears teasing at his eyelids. His wings wrapped around him. Even though she could learn more about his disease, it would be better if she left. Yet she found herself closing the gap between them and placing her hands on his.

"I'm your medic. It's my job to see you through this."

Hesitantly, he intertwined their fingers. Even though he didn't smile, Asa saw a faint yellow cloud hovering over their hands. She gently squeezed, and her stomach knotted with guilt. She should have listened.

"Let me help you, Renvir."

Gradually, he unwrapped his wings.

"What did you have in mind?"

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

It wasn't the smartest idea.

The pair hopped off of their respective Tlochks and turned to see the Core Center. Its marbled walls and pillars stretched to the heavens, egress windows dotting the structure. Its shadow engulfed them, all three suns hiding behind. Having been confirmed by her patient, the Core Reformers would purge him once his spots turned yellow. But inside were the only supplies in the area that had the potential to reverse the flare.

Asa glanced at Renvir. With his tunic and pants, most of his skin was covered. He fiddled with the cloth wrapped around his hands and up to his wrists. She shot him an empathetic look, remembering how scratchy it felt to her.

"You think this will work?" he asked.

"If I can get you into a room without anyone noticing, I can get the medication you need."

She didn't mention she wasn't sure if her new herbal mix she made last night would work. While it mixed compatible herbs for different symptoms together, it was risky. But it was their only shot now.

Renvir opened the door, motioning for her to go in. She obliged, and they headed for the counter. Phoeli stood at the desk while the male rummaged through some files on the other end. The giggly Celest's eyes shimmered as they landed on the pair. A smug grin pulled at her face.

"Asa and Renvir, now that is a sight I never thought I would see."

The medic held back the clicks bubbling in her throat.

"I need a room."

A room? The closest in the back works well for us, the female Celest said telepathically.

"That's not what I meant!" the medic hissed. Unfortunately, her actions elicited her coworker's dreaded giggle. Asa's tail swayed fervently back and forth. She didn't have time for this nonsense. "I need a treatment room. Do you know if any are available?"

"Even if there were, no one in an emergency and clinic care has permission to reserve one."

The medic's face drained of color. She forgot all she could use were the offices, and they were much too small for the two to move around in. She turned to Renvir. While he stood firm, she noticed shaking in his clenched fists.

"Are there any open to the public?"

Phoeli tapped the counter. Her eyes darted back and forth as though trying to recall.

"There are usually a few open near the hatchery for visiting mothers, but they go fast."

Before she could say anymore, Asa grabbed the Celest's hand, dragging him with her.

"Thanks!"

They raced through the hallway and to the left. Asa checked each room. Sure enough, they were full. She led the male down a few other hallways as she checked the waiting areas. Even though they weren't ideal, they could work. As she peered into the last room, Renvir leaned against the wall. His heavy breathing caught her attention.

Looking up, she saw beads of sweat running down his throat. A gray dot peaked out from underneath his hand wrap.

"Asa, I cannot keep going."

Tears glistened in his eyes. A tightness pulled inside her chest. From the back of her mind, she remembered there was one place where they would be safe. She tugged on his hand once more, but he resisted.

"Just one more place. Please."

Renvir relented. Slowly, the two ambled towards the residential wing.