"It's where you leave your old nonsense behind. And be thankful for the possibilities in front of you."

Blake began peppering the side of my neck with small kisses. It made it impossible to focus as my eyelids began to slip close with pleasure, and soon enough, the smell of burnt pancakes filled the air.

"Oh, party foul," he teased. "This is why we always went out for food."

My mouth popped open. "I'm pretty sure there was some interference on that play."

He grabbed the burnt pancake and plopped it on a plate. "Maybe," he said innocently. "Don't worry. Failure is simply the opportunity to try again. And this time, to make it a little more golden brown."

I playfully slapped his wrist with the spatula. "Mean."

"Honest."

"Ungrateful."

He smirked. "Lucky," he said, and he popped a bite of my burnt pancake in his mouth.

My cheeks blushed crimson, and I had to turn around to face the grill before he saw, and before I burnt another pancake.

It was almost painful, to be this unimaginably happy, but know that it wasn't mine to keep. We could continue to play couple and to flirt and tease like this moment in time would play on loop for forever, but eventually we'd have to face something else entirely.

Mostly the absence of addressing what this was. And what this meant.

The only thing that kept me from beginning the conversation myself was the fear of receiving an answer I couldn't handle. And losing everything I had worked so hard to rebuild.

I decided to leave it alone. Here, I was his. I'd think about it what I was to him when we left some other time.

"Okay," I rolled my eyes and I slid the pancake onto his plate, "here is His Highness's pancake. As golden as his crown."

Blake smirked. "Are you sure there isn't anything missing?"

I furrowed my eyebrows, confused. "What would be missing?"

Without warning he pulled me into his lap and devoured my mouth with a slow and passionate kiss. I could barely breathe when he pulled away. "A queen."

My breath got caught in my throat. "Blake," I whispered, unable to comprehend his words. "I missed you. I mean, I really missed you."

He stared deep into my eyes, searching for the truth in my words. "Alexa," he murmured as his hands gently tangled into my bun. "By you, I am undone."

And he kissed me like I was the only thing keeping him alive.

I think he could have taken me right there on the kitchen floor, but suddenly I felt a vibration coming from below. And I was positive it wasn't a recreational source.

"Work," he frowned as he pulled the phone out of his pocket.

He moved to push decline, but I stopped him. "Just take it," I said. "On a Saturday morning, I'd hope it's life or death."