Chapter 18 - I dont owe you a goddamn thing

[Rose ' Ghost ' McKillen POV]

" Comm check 1 charlie alpha perry",  Rose spoke into her mic.

" Comms are a live",  Ian confirmed.

The two stood over the kitchen island of their safe house,  checking,  re checking and loading their gear. The night they had arrive had been fun. But it was time to get work done.
Rising at 0400 they had set about their entire plan and now it was nearly past 2100 and Rose was set to intercept their target in half an hour.

" Ro,  you set?" Ian asked as he clipped his magizine into his pouch.

" 10\4 ,  ready ready Eyes",  she cheekily replies as she slipped a bowie knife into her boot strap.

"Wheels up in 10 then. "

"Ho! Ha !" Rose joked.

...

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck! Rose chanted in her head as she took heavy fire.

" I need my eyes, what the fuck is going on?", Rose whisper yelled angrily into her comms set.

Pressed against the side of a old brick wall in the harbor off the coast of Miami.

Only a short time ago had her and Ian set out on their recon part of their mission.

Rose had been dressed as a tourist standing on the dock pretending to admire the sea, before she knew it her mark had been swarmed with men and shots were fired. Rose had no choice but to break for cover.

" Unknowns just came in. Looks like they got eyes on out bird Ro", Ian spoke to her.

He was set up with a sniper rifle half a click away on the large building overlooking the beach and docks.

" Im stuck Eyes, i need an out." Rose spoke as she looked around the corner only to duck back as bullets continued to fly.

" Stay low, move along the wall to your left, on my mark make it out of the docks and to the lot. Ill cover you", Ian instructed her.

" copy, ready ready" Rose set herself into position, ready to move.

" Red, apple, charlie, blue, green, move! " Ian slowly stated in code before he yelled at her to move.

Rose took off from her spot, with a gun in hand from her thigh holster, she moved along the wall in a crouched stance before breaking the wall and darting across the open space to the lot.

Just as she was about to hit the sands, a sharp pain shot through her exposed thigh. Rose dropped to her knees.

" Ro!" Ian yelled at her through the mic," get the fuck up and move that ass!". Rose had no choice but to listen as she clenched her jaw in pain and got to her feet and made it across the lot. Behind her she heard bodies drop, in her ear she heard the ping of Ian's rifle go off.

So much for cover, she thought to herself.

Rose threw herself into a sea grass patch on the sand on the lot. Her thigh bleeding she had to get the bullet out.

Taking her spare mag from her other other thigh strap, she removed a bullet and but it between her teeth. Rose removed a chunk of her dress and dug into her bra for her knife.

Bitting down on the bullet, she ignored Ian's voice in her ear as she dug the bullet from her thigh. Muffled screams of pain, and large beads of sweat came from her. With shaking hands and a heavy chest, Rose bound her leg with the cloth and took a deep breath, with the bloody bullet in her palm.