The Hunters and The Hunted

Red awoke with a gasp, checking over his wounds. "Nothing new.." he muttered. He was safe, for the time being at least. 

"Oh you're awake.." Black Ice poked her head in from the doorway. "Can you stand?" 

"Maybe.." Red attempted to stand, pushing himself up on the nearby table. He stumbled, barely catching himself.

"Guess that's a no.."  Red settled on sitting on the bed. 

"Thanks for uh.. not killing me." 

"Yeah, youre welcome, what do you eat?"

"Usually dragon, but seeing as I'm in no condition to hunt that's out of the question."

"Not human?" 

"Human meats pretty good too, but once you get a taste of the rich meat of a dragon you'll want more." 

"Oh, guess I'll try that later then."

"As soon as I'm healed, I'll hunt us a dragon!" He smiled, pulling out a sword from nowhere.

"You can summon items?" 

"Hosts skill." 

"Ah" She said. "Better be careful of that," Black Ice thought.

"Yeah, he can kinda shapeshift. teleportation and shadow manipulation, though I guess you'd call that umbrakinesis are the big ones." 

"You're just telling me this?" Black Ice said, confused.

"Its not like you're a light type, so it doesn't really matter." 

"I guess.." 

"It's not like you'd be able to kill me anyway." 

"I could." 

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Prove it." He smirked, holding out his arms, daring the ice demon to attack him. 

"Ok.." she grabbed  a scythe, blue and reflective. Likely made of ice, slinging it over her shoulder. "Let's go." 

"I can't fight you, injured remember?" He looked up at her, hoping she wouldn't notice the fear, "if you wanna kill me do it." He laughed a bit "Kill me!" Black ice rolled her eyes, moving towards the fire demon. She cut his wing, slightly.

"You better hunt a dragon for us later.." She put away her scythe.

"Really?" 

"Yeah.." she smiled, ever so slightly. 

-----------

A week had passed, red wounds had healed enough to go hunting.

"Can we go? Come on iceeey!" 

"Chill out.." 

"I can't kill a dragon yet, but let's get some deer! Or something. I just wanna hunt!" He said, excited. 

"Fine, let's go." Black Ice said, and Red ran out the door; quickly flying over to the top of a tree. Black ice followed, wielding her scythe. Red summoned a relatively small sword, both searching for prey. 

"There,' Red whispered, pointing towards a small herd of deer. They looked each other in the eye, nodding before splitting up. Red stabbed into a deer, with his sword. Ripping its antlers off, only to stab another. 

"So messy.." black ice said. 

"Its more fun this way!" He laughed, cutting off another deers leg, letting it bleed out.

"I killed more.." Black ice said, cutting into a deer running past to make a point. "Five." 

"Three." He smiled, "but you gotta admit icey dear, its so much more fun playing with your prey!" 

"Cant play if its life or death.." she said, choosing to ignore his 'dear' comment.

"But it isn't life or death!"

"If we get hurt nobody's there to help us.. unless of course your host can heal?" 

"Nope. He did practice lots but couldn't learn how to heal." He laughed, "bit of a disappointment for a prince." 

"Yeah, what a loser.." she said, a bit hesitantly.

"We got a decent haul, let's head back." He stopped to look up at the sky, "in fact it's just dark enough that I can carry these with shadows."

"Ok," Black Ice waited. Red carried the deer with his shadows, forming like a sled under their bodies. 

"We can fly there!"

"Yeah." With that they both took off, heading back home.

-----------

"How'd you learn to cook so well?!" Red asked. 

"It's really basic.." 

"I wouldn't know, literally been stuck in hell for about 20 years." 

"How old are you?"

"About.. 200? My hosts only 100." 

"Oh, I'm like 210." 

"I should sleep." Red said, knowing what would happen when he did. It wasn't like he was willing to fight the need for sleep anyway. 

"Ok, night."

"Night icey!"

-------

Red Drifted off to sleep, again reliving the same nightmare. 

"Murderer"

"Murderer" 

"Murderer"

"Murd--" he woke up to a crash. 

"They're here!" Black ice yelled. He didn't know who they were but, he knew if black ice was scared then he had to run. 

"Who?" He said, using his host's abilities to shield them from sight; blending into the night. 

--------------

After the demons had run for about an hour, they found a cave. 

"We should be safe here." Black ice said, "for now anyway."

"Who were they?"

"The factory workers.. doesn't matter why they want me. They're just bad news." 

"Got it," Red paused, "I'm trusting you won't get us killed?" 

"I've survived this long, only difference is I have a friend now."

"Yeah." He smiled. 

"You mind taking first watch?"

"Not at all."