Chapter 9

I didn't know what to say. Of course she reacted the way she did. She was supposed to be marrying Jax, but I was the one in the way. I sighed and leaned against the counter before I started feeling nauseous. I ran quickly to the bathroom and hovered over the toilet. I gagged but only a little came out. When I sat up and flushed the toilet, Jax was standing in the doorway.

"Are you okay?" He asked unsurely. I sighed and rinsed my mouth out before using the towel to dry my hands.

"It's just the morning sickness kicking in," I answered before I walked past him to sit in the living room. I knew it probably as to do with Siobhan's arrival. I felt uneasy and unsettled. There was a discord, and I knew I was the reason. I was the one who messed up Jax's life. We spent the day looking at maternity clothes online even though I wouldn't be able to wear them for a while. After choosing a few items, I tried to spend the rest of my day in my room. It was awkward knowing that Jax was home today. I tried to avoid him and also texted Asher to make plans to meet up with him tomorrow. My morning sickness didn't go away, and I ended up sleeping more that I normally did. 

The next day, the house was empty as Jax went back to work. I ended up sleeping right up until lunch time. I dressed in a simple outfit and get dressed before Asher texted me to alert me of his arrival. I left the house, going outside to his car. It felt weird going outside and seeing Asher. It felt like I hadn't left the house in forever. Asher smiled as I slid into the passenger seat.

"You don't look pregnant yet," Asher joked. I rolled my eyes as I put my seatbelt on.

"Where are we going for lunch?" I asked. Asher only smiled as he drove away.

"Your favorite place," he answered. We ended up at Sun & Fork. After being seated, I felt like I could relax.

"How has it been, living there?" Asher asked after we ordered. I sighed as I picked at the table.

"If I could tell you, I would. It's been... crazy and weird. Jax lives in a world that is far beyond the world we live in," I answered vaguely. Asher's phone rang, saving me from explaining anything else. He glanced at it before answering it.

"What's up? I'm out at lunch... Sun & Fork, why? Okay, I'll look at it when I get back to the office," he said into the phone before he hung up. Our food arrived and we ate talking about what Asher had been up to. Halfway through our lunch, someone grabbed my arm and brought me to a standing position. I turned to see Jax. He sighed and closed his eyes briefly.

"Mr. Signa," Asher said in surprise as he stood. I was surprised too.

"Do you know how worried I was when Esther told me she couldn't find you," Jax said in a hurry. I winced from his grip on my arm. Asher stepped in to take Jax's hand off of my arm.

"Are you always this rough with a pregnant woman?" Asher asked. Jax's expression turned to one of no expression.

"I don't think this concerns you," Jax said to Asher. I glanced around before looking at the floor. They were making a scene.

"We're in public, Jax," I said softly. He looked around before he sighed.

"Follow me," he said before he turned and left the restaurant. I started walking before Asher stopped me.

"You're actually going?" He asked. I took a breath before I nodded.

"I don't really have a choice," I muttered before I walked outside to see Jax in front of his car. I passed him to get in the passenger seat before closing the door behind me. Jax got in the car before facing me.

"You can't just leave without a word. We were worried," Jax started right away.

"Don't worry. The baby was safe," I muttered as I stared at my lap.

"That's not-" Jax stopped and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I'm not saying you can't see your friend, but you have to try and look at it from my point of view. You just disappeared without a word. What am I supposed to think?" He said calmer.

"I needed to get out of there for a bit," I said automatically.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because I was suffocating. I hadn't even stepped foot outside after moving in. And meeting you fiancé yesterday... I felt like I was having a nervous breakdown. I needed some room to breath," I tried to explain.

"I didn't mean to make you feel that way," he said softly.

"Yeah, well being manhandled by your fiancé wasn't on a list of things I thought would happen. When I signed the agreement, I thought all parties involved already knew about me. You didn't tell her in advance that I even existed. You didn't think maybe telling your fiancé that you're having a kid was important," I ranted. I sighed before covering my face with my hands. I felt the first few tears sting my eyes. I didn't want to cry. I didn't want Jax to see me cry, but I couldn't control it.

"I'm sorry. I had no idea she would drop by," he apologized.

"That's not the point!" I yelled. I took a breath to calm down as I let my eyes close. "My life... has been no where near normal since I met you. I just need something to hold on to and keep me sane. I thought meeting up with Asher, would calm me down, or ground me, or something, but I feel like I don't know where the ground is anymore," I tried to explain. Jax did something I didn't expect. He reached over and held my hand in his as I cried.

"I can't promise you a lot of things. I can't promise things won't be difficult. I can't promise you won't feel lonely sometimes, but I can promise that I'll be here to try to make it a little bit easier," he said gently. He was quiet as he just let me cry in the passenger seat.