I put down the line and go to my locker, but as soon as I open it, I hear a text come through.

When I open it, I freeze.

It's the same blocked number that sent me those texts before camp.

Blocked: 'Miss me? Sorry I've been gone for a while. I've been gathering... resources. But those aren't ready to be revealed yet. Trust me, it'll be worth the wait. Until then, I have a little something else that you may want to see...'

It's a video, capturing a scene nearby the back gate of what seems like a school. My guess is that it was taped by the school's security surveillance camera. The timestamp shows that the video was taken last Friday. From the thumbnail, it appears like there are three girls surrounding one girl and a guy. But that guy looks like...

Sterling.

I hesitate for a while, then move into an empty classroom and play the video.

"My boyfriend!"

"Your... what?" The girl who gives off Kera-vibes scoffs. "You don't actually expect me to believe that a loser like you managed to snag a guy like that."

"It's true," the guy says slowly. "I'm... her boyfriend..."

I stare at my phone screen in shock, then start shaking my head.

"No, no. That's not him," I talk to no one in particular. "That's not Sterling. He wouldn't say that." I was just talking to him on the phone less then five minutes ago...

I replay the video. Again, and again, and again. Each time I play it, I regretfully become more convinced that the guy in the video is him. The clothes... his voice... the way he carries himself... It all screams Sterling.

But those words...

It doesn't make any sense to me. Why would he say something like that?

I need answers. And I know just where to get some.

I barge into the studio.

"Felix!"

The beanie-covered head shoots up from the couch.

"What're you doing here? According to your schedule I retrieved from the school database you're supposed to be having an English lecture now. Were you dying to see me so badly, gorgeous?"

I ignore his statements. I don't have time to deal with his stalker tendencies right now. "There's something I need to confirm. English can wait."

"Oh, something this urgent that you think I might know? You've got me interested. Shoot."

I chew on my bottom lip, stalling for a while to gather up my courage, then take a deep breath and go in straight for the kill. "Where is Sterling and what 'unofficial business' is he doing?"

I notice Felix's bronzy skin turns a little pale, but he puts on one of his charming smiles as if nothing is the matter. "How would I know? We may bicker like an old married couple but I'm not Nitey's wife. I'm just filling in his role as pseudo guardian angel of a beautiful lady, and enjoying this role very much, to be frank with you."

"Cut the crap, Adair," I snap, and I see him gulp. "I'm not an idiot. I'm sure you'd much rather be at a bar or strip club than sitting here is school and watching me all day like a live-in nanny. Sterling must've told you what he was doing, and it must've been important enough that you would do this for him as a friend. So spill."

Even though I'm more than a head shorter than him, I muster my most withering glare, and look up to him with wide flashing eyes, arms crossed across my chest. I can already see him sweating.

He pulls uncomfortably at his collar

He pulls uncomfortably at his collar. "Y-You know for a small girl I'm supposed to be protecting, you sure are p-pretty intimidating."

"Talk."

Felix and Sterling are similar in so many ways that I wouldn't be surprised if their periods are synced, but there's one defining feature that sets them both apart. While Sterling is like a 'locked safe' as Nadine had aptly put it during camp, Felix is like a locked glass window that's polished every two hours. No matter how hard he tries to hide his emotions, he's so embarrassingly transparent that I almost feel bad for the guy. That's probably why he hides behind computer screens and usernames all the time — his face gives too much away that it'd be impossible to survive in this ruthless world where harboring secrets is not only second nature but a natural selection factor.

I can so clearly see through his completely readable face to the gears spinning in his head as he fights an internal battle with himself — Loyalty to his best friend, versus avoiding the wrath of a five-foot-three girl with two weeks of combat experience and a bad temper. It seems like he chooses the latter.

He raises his hands up in surrender. "He didn't tell me much. I don't know where he is, but I'll tell you what I do know... Just, stop looking at me like that. It's freaking me out!" I disarm the glare of death in my eyes and look up at him softly. Felix sighs. "He's... looking for someone. A girl."

"He... He left for two weeks to look... for a g-girl?"

Felix's eyes widen as he realizes the implications of his words. "No-no. It's not what you think!"

"And what am I supposed to think?" It was meant to come out angrily, but I ended up sounding more pained and dejected, which I hate.

"It's... Ah... The thing is that... Shit. Sterling's going to kill me!"

I can't say or do anything but look up at him with sad, shiny eyes.

"Oh god, don't look at me like that. Go back to being angry, please! Oh man, you look just like Celia when you do that, and Celia always ends up getting what she wants when she pulls those eyes. She's my little sister, and— No! Not little sister. No sisters!" I furrow my brows and frown in confusion. Have I broken him?

He blinks a few times, and takes a deep breath before looking me straight in the eyes. "Look, this is where I draw the line. I can't tell you any more than this, it's no longer my jurisdiction to tell you these things. You're gonna have to ask him for yourself. But just... trust me when I say that Sterling is crazy about you. I've never seen him care more about a girl, or anyone for that matter. He's not very good at expressing his feelings, and he keeps a lot of secrets, but he does it to protect himself. He's... been through a lot. Sterling's lost a lot of people and... He can't lose you too, so please, just talk to him when he comes back. He'll explain it to you when he's ready, I'm sure of it."

I exhale shakily. I know he's telling the truth. I still don't completely understand, but for now, it's enough. It has to be enough.

He gives me a consolatory smile. I nod my head slowly, and walk wordlessly out of the studio.