Making Friends (A New Day Part 4)

I shot up out of bed in a cold sweat, panting and heaving as if I'm experiencing a heart attack. I clenched my chest in fear.

'It is just another nightmare.' I thought to myself.

Recently I've been having dreams about her and the night of the...incident. I can still hear her screams when I killed him. I could have never hurt her, but the unlucky bastard that I happened to have caught in bed with her, I could give less of a damn. I don't understand where I went wrong, I gave her EVERYTHING! But I guess it wasn't enough for her.

"I can see you're already up." A voice spoke to me, dragging me off my thoughts.

I took a long glance at the man before me, appears to be in his mid 40's with a grey handlebar mustache, and big, brown, puppy dog eyes. I couldn't tell much but from the looks of it he had long grey hair to match his mustache but it was covered by a white and orange trucker hat. He stretched out his long pale arms to help me up from the ground. I hesitantly took it.

"Ugh, I'm itchy," Clementine said scratching her arm, as I dusted myself off.

"Well, you slept in a barn, Lil lady." The man said to Clementine. "You're lucky you don't have spiders in your hair."

Clementine gasped and stared frantically searching through her hair, while (Y/N) was giggling to herself.

"This isn't funny (Y/N)!" Clementine scolded her.

"Says who? I only laughed because you have a spider on your butt."

Clementine screamed and started patting down her dress, while (Y/N) dropped to the floor laughing hysterically. I rolled my eyes and calmed Clementine down, letting her know that she did not, have a spider on her butt.

"Yea, I bet your daddy scared them off anyway." The man jumped in.

"I'm not their dad." I paused turning to face the man. "I'm Lee."

"The names Kenny."

"Dad!" A young voice called from the barn entrance. "We're gonna build a fence! There is a tractor and everything!"

The voice belonged to a young boy, with short brown hair, and bushy brown eyebrows. He almost looked like a young Kenny, but his nose was wider and had defined freckles on his cheeks.

"We better get going, or we won't hear the end of it," Kenny said rolling his eyes playfully.

We all stepped out of the barn and into the sunshine, with the dairy air filling our lungs. It was hard to tell what time it was, from the looks of it the sun was at its peak or near to it, meaning that it could be around 11 am or 12 pm; It left me wondering when everyone else woke up.

"That's my boy, Ken Junior. We call him Duck though." Kenny said drawing me from my thoughts, as he spoke fondly of the boy.

"Dodging or Quacking?" I asked him, making him chuckle.

"Quacking."

"Daaaad!" Duck shouted from afar.

"See?" Kenny spoke.

We approached Duck who happened to be standing near who I assume his mother. From the looks of it, Duck had more similarities to his mother than his father; the only difference was that she had bright golden hair and baby blue eyes.

"The word is, you're on your way to Macon." Kenny pointed out, stopping in his tracks.

"My family is from there," I replied.

"Well, Macon is on the way and, I'd appreciate the company of a guy who can knock a couple of heads together if he has to."

"Sure we'll tag along," I said taking up his offer, not knowing when else we could get the chance to leave.