After the Club

"THAT'S A PRETTY NICE PAIR OF HEELS YOU GOT THERE!".

I moved out of the mini flat I was living in, in Sangotedo, Lekki-Epe Axis to stay with my friend in Osapa London, Lekki, who by the way, was a guy, single, handsome, but I could never date someone like him. After resigning from a courier firm, my boss, now ex-employer, was devastated. Even if he didn't really say it, I knew I had hurt his feelings. That's fine. I can't stop you from living your life and going after new opportunities. Just hand over all passwords, ID Cards, Business Cards, and any other relating documents. I'll take it from here. Those were his last remarks to my dismissal. I felt like a stupid idiot. I tried to tell him, I just thought he would have disapproved. He was the best mentor I had.

"OH, THANK YOU! I GOT IT FROM AN ONLINE STORE ON INSTAGRAM!" I responded, but he wasn't asking.

My former landlord had increased the rent of the apartment by Fifty Thousand Naira Only. There was no way I could've paid the existing rent fee before the increment. I was fortunate enough to have a friend I could confide in at that time. He was very generous, although we've had a one-night stand – unintended. But I never for one day thought he was up to no good, I just felt people do good things without asking for anything in return. Conveniently for me, he hardly stayed in the apartment. It was a two bedroom with a flat-mate. How far na, we still dey go that place? his ruggedly voice had me wondering the first time I met him. I didn't surrender to his countenance. I had my friend's room, his furniture, his kitchen, his living room, the pink-tiled bathroom, the wardrobe, and the balcony to my comfort for 3 months. It felt good. I felt more alive.

"DO YOU WANT SOME TEQUILA SHOTS? I ALSO HAVE A PACK OF CIGARETTES IF YOU CARE!"

The music was so loud, people swarming around like a tank of bees all over the club. Velvet Lounge is a pretty cool spot. One of those places the lekki big boys and girls hung out and of course, hook up. I looked very lackadaisical in my appearance. Bare face, no earrings, not even a winged-liner over the top of my eye lids. But Tolu found me attractive like that.
"YES, PLEASE!" I yelled over the sound of the music playing; Anybody, wey no want to soji, anybody, wey no carry body, knack am something... I like a few things, listening to Burna Boy's music is one of them.

I was out to rock in my black off-shoulder gown. I wore two inches wedged heel sandals, my natural low haircut and a light smudge of nude lip gloss on my thin lips. I had it in my purse, didn't think I'd be needing it till I was sure to impress my date. I could sense some hot glares at me in the lounge, rich fancy men with seducing smiles all twitching at me. I could care less...

"HERE... THREE SHOTS IN FIVE SECONDS. READY?!".

* * *

The rest of the night was wasted on sensual dancing, flirting, eye contacts, gulping nine shots of different liquors, getting tipsy and exchanging numbers with a stranger I'd rubbed shoulders with in the restroom. I'll call you, sexy...
I watched as Tolu took off his shirt in front of me. I knew the night wasn't going to end right. The last thing I wanted with a divorced thirty four years aged man was a one-night stand.
I was so tipsy. I wanted to throw up, but I shrugged it off as I rested my back to the soft satin pillows that were perfectly laid on the bed. My eyes were heavy and I felt my stomach tightened. I was hungry, but very tired.

I closed my eyes to the sound of the chilling air conditioner that was right next to the bed. I had thoughts of all my outstanding tasks that were assigned to me by my new boss. She'd threaten to fire me again if I didn't deliver in the next twelve hours.

I allowed my thoughts to wander through the night, listening to the sound of water running from the bathroom, as I dozed off.
* * *
5:58 AM. My lazy eyes struggled to open up. I stared at the time right next to where I laid. My body was bare and heavy. A hangover I thought. Tolu snored too loud, and my ear drums were uncomfortable from the noise he made. I felt a sharp pain in my lower abdomen, I couldn't move. I felt weak, the soft sheets now felt rough against my skin. I was cold, but the AC was turned off, the room was as quiet as a grave-yard. I broke a sweat, then...

6:00 AM. I released hot tears from my eyes, and got up to clean up. I forced myself to forget that night ever happened. It's what I've always done, it's what I'm good at. That's how I can survive any misery in my early twenties, and I knew for sure to be smarter next time.