01 | secret

01: 비밀

"SECOND PLACE AGAIN," I seethed bitterly to myself, my eyes trained on the main board plastered inside the walls of Haru Academy's Great Hall. I bite my lip in annoyance, shooting daggers at the sight of my name with a bold "2" beside it like a goddamn trophy.

I studied really hard for this. 

And yet, I still came out as second. Excellent. 

This was the monthly set-up for students at Haru Academy. Rankings and merits are as important as the school principles. And just like the other high schools, our rankings could actually determine our future. 

Which was a stupid rule, to be frank. Nonetheless, I keep this thought to myself. I was no better anyway. I also pull all nighters and study hard like my life depends on it. I click my tongue, drawing out a long breath.

Too engrossed in my own world and already thinking about the next strategy I would create to get into the first place, I didn't notice the whispers that started circulating around me. But when I did, I almost felt sick to my stomach. 

"That's quite a feat," a person whispers. Or rather, tried to whisper. I could hear the whole thing. They weren't even trying to hide it. "Top student beat the President again." 

"That's amazing!"

Upon hearing it, I crossed my arms and pressed my eyes shut, before daring to glance at the main board again, this time higher, to see the name of Jeon Jungkook plastered on top. I glared at the "1" that was plastered beside his name. 

Student number 09197. He's in several of my classes. He slept in classes a lot and has several absences. He's always slacking off. I didn't care much about him until first year midterm results came out. Top one. The spot I had always wanted. 

While I had to work myself to death to be at the second spot, he was carelessly sleeping away, looking so unproblematic and relaxed. I remember the feeling I had when I realized he was good at everything. 

Dislike

He's everything I'm not. Even so, I had always been indifferent toward him. While he's busy being a social butterfly at school, I had to tend to my responsibilities as the student council President. And we kept it that way. 

Besides, I never cared about anyone. Certainly not a guy.

And certainly not Jeon Jungkook. 

"Well, there's no helping it," I sigh to myself softly as I drop my hands to my side. "I just have to beat him next time." I said, before turning. I kept a straight face on as I did so, my eyes darting to the first year and second year students looking at me like I was a monster, slowly inching away. 

I didn't mind this. I also didn't mind the small path they have created due to backing away from me. Keeping my head up high, I walked and left the Great Hall, leaving a mass of whispers behind my back. 

"You dork!" a new voice had called out, and I momentarily stop in my tracks. That angelic voice was strangely familiar. 

"Ugh, Jimin! Stop!" another voice whined, a little playfully. Glancing over my shoulder, the sight of Jeon Jungkook and Park Jimin greeted my sight. My eyes didn't leave them as they went along and squeezed themselves among the crowds. 

That's right. There is one.

I kept my eyes rooted to the brown haired guy with crescent eyes, a feeling of slight pang nagging my chest.