𝐈𝐗. the sun

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I get that... Charlie stays pretty busy too."

We began walking towards the school, our topics drifting here and there.

"I think I like Emmett."

The words fell past my lips before I could even catch myself. And while I felt my cheeks turn red, I wasn't too embarrassed. I'd grown comfortable with Bella over the past few weeks.

"Oh, wow. Yeah, I... wow. Good for you, Evelyn. Seriously,"

It seemed to take her a minute to comprehend what I'd said, but as soon as she did, the genuine look in her eye said it all.

"I dunno. It sounds weird, but... I just feel like I've known him forever. I feel so comfortable around him, like- like-"

"Like he's where you're meant to be,"

I went silent at Bella's addition, my eyes trailing over to her curiously. She looked like she was zoning out, reminiscing, or something.

"Uh... yeah, kinda,"

The corners of Bella's lips quirked up into the half-grin, one I'd grown so used to. It was oddly comforting that she could so easily put my scrambled thoughts into words. In a way, I did feel like being around Emmett was where I belonged. The whole month of avoiding him had been draining.

It seemed since the second I'd laid eyes on him that dreary October day, I'd wanted him. I'd longed for him.

"...is this how you felt about Edward?"

With a sharp intake, Bella shrugged. I waited patiently for some sort of answer, not trying to appear too nosy. Eventually, she nodded her head.

"Yep... I was pretty, um- starstruck at first, I guess... But as soon as we started talking, I just... I dunno. I didn't want it to stop,"

It sounded identical to my current situation and feelings for Emmett, enough so that a small laugh bubbled through me. She cocked an eyebrow at this, waiting for an explanation.

"Sorry, it's just kinda funny. These Cullen boys seem to love driving the new girl crazy,"

    "You drive me crazy."

My words reminded me of Emmett's declaration, and a small shiver ran down my spine.

"Or maybe we just like to suffer," Bella scoffed.

I nodded in agreement, a smirk dancing across my face.

"Guess so."

We had to part ways. I always enjoyed talking to Bella. We were similar in many ways, and something we both had in common was our affinity for our chosen Cullen boys. It was nice to know that I wasn't alone.

༻༺

By lunch, I was already dying for the day to be over. Tyler had been more flirty than usual, enough to make me inwardly cringe at times. After that, there was kickball in PE. Which, being scared of the ball, was exhausting. And it seemed like Jessica relished in my lousy athletic skills. It irked me. Nearly two months at this school, and she still didn't like me. Not that I needed her to, but it certainly would make lunch easier.

But the worst part of it all, by far, was the absence of Emmett Cullen's stupid little grin.

I felt a bit pathetic. I spent one day with him following me everywhere, and I already was missing it - missing him.