Sebastian v. Braylen

Start from the beginning

        "Stop being so sappy at 8:00 a.m. Let me wake up first at least," she says, giggling.

        We turn down another hall and my feet stall as we do. I continue walking again quickly so Robyn doesn't notice, but it's no use. He saw me falter. And now he won't take his eyes off of me.

        Sebastian's back to his slightly messy, slightly seductive look, with his hair wild and his shirt slightly unbuttoned. He'd opted out on the tie and instead was wearing a beige vest and burgundy blazer with perfectly fitted slacks and dress shoes. I glanced down at my Converse and blushed. "You okay? You're blushing," Robyn comments.

        "Uh, yeah. Yeah, I'm fine," I say. The bell rings and I smile down at her. "Homeroom. I've got Mr. Jacobsen. You?"

        She gives me a small smile. "Ms. Garret. Sucks, we never have the same classes!"

        Robyn wraps me in a hug and I return it, squeezing her tiny frame. "Lunch?"

        She kisses my cheek like always and nods. "Hope you brought my Yakult!"

        I laugh as she disappears, her plaid skirt swaying behind her. I adjust my backpack and turn back to Sebastian. He was leaning against the wall, looking disinterested and tense at the same time. Huffing a breath, I walk up to him. "Hi."

        Sebastian looks up. "Hey."

        "Um, h-how are you?"

        "Great," he deadpans.

        I raise an eyebrow at his stilted answers. "I'm doing good too, thanks. I meant more so what happened at the party. We haven't talked since then—"

        "That's because we're not friends," he spits, eyes dark.

        I lean my shoulder against the wall, making myself more comfortable. "You know, you keep saying that but I think I'm the only person here who knows how much you're hurting. Do you think Devin would've been able to talk you down? Hunter? No. They were too busy smoking or drinking or doing drugs to care."

        "So why?" he asks, leaning closer to me. "Why did you? Why did you talk me down? You could've walked away. Pretended like you didn't see me. I know you hate me."

        I swallow hard, pursing my lips. "I don't hate you. I'm a decent guy; I wasn't going to just let you fall onto that ground like that. So, no, Sebastian. I don't like you. But I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I wouldn't wish that on you."

        He opens his mouth to speak when his friend Hunter appears, slapping him on the back. "What's up, Ash! Braylen." He shoots me a small smile and I return it, adjusting my backpack strap. "Am I insane or are you two totally friends now? Sick!"

        "Actually, Braylen was just leaving," Sebastian says, eyes narrowing at me.

        I stare back at him trying to fight the confusion that threatens to appear on my face. "You were? Dang. We should all hang out. You, me, Ash, Devin. It's senior year, my dudes!"

        I smile softly. Hunter Tucker was sweeter than most of Sebastian's friends; he was definitely my favorite. He was completely oblivious to everything around him and always kind to me. "He's busy this year, aren't you, Brayls?" Sebastian says, shooting me a smirk.

        I scrunch my nose at the nickname. "Yeah. I'm doing construction work with my grandfather. We're building houses. I'm not all that good just yet, but I think I've gotten balconies down pat. You know, Ash?"

        Sebastian flushes in embarrassment as Hunter chuckles. "Legit? Dude, that's sick!" he says, dragging out the -ick. "Maybe some other time, yeah? Let us know if you're ever free."