Jared's sharp eyes looked for Tyler at lunch, but couldn't find him anywhere.
He cursed internally at the sight of Jawdat who first stopped at the table of the old guard and handed over a white envelope to his grandmother and then proceeded to Marion where he did the same.
He knew there was a chance that Tyler would leave prematurely, but had thought himself assured by the task imposed on him as a bearer of the eye. With a short hand gesture, he beckoned Jawdat.
"Where is he?" he demanded hissing.
Jawdat looked at him icily. "Mr. Reed feels unwell. Perhaps an aftermath of a successful bachelor party?"

Jared frowned. 'Maybe he was resting in his room. Did he see ghosts unjustly?'
"What did you give to Marion Reed and grandmother?" he asked sharply.
"I'm just the delivery guy," Jawdat said coolly. "If you want to excuse me?"
Jared clearly wasn't going to settle for this answer.
Cold eyes looked at him.
"You're getting married in three hours. Maybe it's better if you focus on that," Jawdat said.
Disgruntled and with tight jaws, Jared stepped aside so Jawdat could pass by. As soon as he stopped feeling those cold eyes on him, he made his way to Marion.

She saw him coming and her expression confirmed his suspicion.
"He's unwell, Jared," Marion said apologetically.
"Of course he is," he said bitterly. "But he's being unwell somewhere else, because you know as well as I do that he's runs off like a spoiled child at the slightest scare or bit of headwind."
Jared sought his salvation in anger. Another feeling too deep and frightening was violently suppressed.
"You judge him unfairly, Jared, and you realize that," Marion said in a soft tone.
"No!" he said, not intending to be reasonable. The outrage fueled his ability to move on.

Without saying goodbye, he steamed on to the table where the Heads of the Family were seated. He just saw his grandmother put the envelope under her napkin.
"You cannot possibly allow his departure!" he stated, half-bending over her without greeting or acknowledging the other attendees. "He has no respect whatsoever for the task you have given him!" he pressed urgently.
"The only one who shows no respect here, young man, are you!", Marwon rightly pointed out. "Tyler arranged through Judge Al-Fez that someone else be allowed to read his speech."
Jared's head was spinning.
"But he's in Dubai, isn't he?" stammering Jared. 'That would mean this wasn't a spur of the moment. Tyler planned this.'
The deep pain of betrayal cut through him. With iron self-control, he straightened his back.
"I apologize for my disrespectful behavior. I was just concerned about the continuation of the wedding and am glad to hear that there are no problems."
He nodded at them and turned on his heels.

Looking for Jawdat, who seemed to have disappeared without a trace, he was caught by the master of ceremonies.
"You have to get ready, Jared. In about twenty minutes, your photo session will start."
"Do the others first," he said impatiently.
"They've all been."
Jared clamped his jaws together.
'Tyler might have walked away from his responsibility, but he wouldn't. For his family and their honor, he would fulfil his promise.'
Fleur came around the corner and looked like a princess in her beautiful wedding dress.
"Isn't it about time to get changed?" she said, looking at him warmly.
Jared looked at a radiant Fleur and his fear and anger melted away. The promise he made to her weighed heavily on his heart.
"You look truly breathtaking, Fleur," he said sincerely. "I'll get dressed and I'll see you in a bit."
From his head, he banished all thoughts except the task before him. He was going to marry the most beautiful and sweetest woman he knew.

From their table, Princess Jasmine and her company were able to follow the photo session in the garden.
"Why do you think Tyler's giving you the medallion back, Jasmine?" asked Marwon. "He knows his position is irrevocable, right?"
"He's young," she said, smiling. "Young people are so dramatic. In his desire to create some distance, he thinks it is necessary to cut all ties."
"I think he is an asset to our ranks. It would be a shame to lose such a bright mind," Murtada said.
"Would you still feel that way if I told you he's gay?" asked Marwon.
"Yes," Murtada said without a glance or blush.
"Didn't we already know that?" Gaith said looking around the table.
Princess Jasmine smiled. "But of course."
"And how far does that tolerance stretch?" insisted Marwon. "Is this enlightened way of thinking also applicable to our own family?"
Gaith shook his head resolutely. "You know why this isn't possible! Our family would lose its standing in the Muslim community. No respectable man would want to trade with us anymore," he said with tight lips.
Marwon squeezed his eyes dangerously together. "So they are left with the choice between exile or a life filled with denial and lies?"
"Let's put this issue to rest for now, gentlemen" said Princess Jasmine in a reasonable but clear tone.

Her eyes slipped over the text of the attached note:
"Princess Jasmine.
I return your medallion. As valuable as it may be, it pales in comparison to the treasure you have given me and which I will cherish for the rest of my life.
T.A.R.
"So dramatic," she sighed.
"Well, gentlemen. Let's get ready for marriage."
Marion's note was a lot shorter: "Sorry. You'll hear from me."
It was an explanation of nothing, but she understood him. He'd already shed enough tears. BJ would take care of him, she knew for sure.
She didn't tell Naomi, who was so full of her job as a flower girl, that she didn't even miss Tyler.