Chapter 1: One Step Closer

Start from the beginning

I don't get in the car until Nessie comes back out. Even then, I don't get in nicely. Edward and Bella are in the front seat. The minute I close the door, Bella starts to talk to me. "How've you been Chloe?" she asks. I ignore her. Instead, I pull my book on Voldemort out of my purse and continue to read it. She should know how I've been. No one has apologized, so I'm not doing too good. "Chloe, Bella asked you a question," Edward says. I ignore him to. I'm well aware I was asked a question. If I had any interest in answering it, I would have. Soon enough, they give up on getting me to talk.

We arrive in La Push about ten minutes later. The house they pull up to I recognize to be Jacob's. It looks like a tiny barn. "We'll pick you two up when the sun starts to set. Love you," Edward says. "Love you to, daddy!" Nessie says. I simply get out of the car and close the door. When they finally leave, Nessie walks ahead of me into the house and walks in on her own accord. The inside is small as well. Mostly kitchen. In the living room are Jacob and his father Billy. As if Jacob can sense Nessie's presence, Jacob turns to us as soon as we enter. Wasting no time, Nessie runs and jumps into his arms.

"Hey, Chloe," Jacob says. "Hey Jacob. Hey Billy," I say politely. Billy rolls over to us in his wheelchair. "Hey Chloe. Why don't you make yourself comfortable. The other elders and the pack have been... anxious to meet you," he says. I nod and sit down on their tiny couch. Nessie told me that this was probably going to happen eventually. I'm not worried about it. They're fine with the rest of my family. I'll bet they just want to talk to me and get to know me. Besides, with Nessie around, they can't do anything to me.

Jacob and Billy find out quickly that I'm not in the mood to talk, so they leave me be. It doesn't take me long to finish the book on Voldemort. Once I'm done, I start to read my next one about the history of the Quidditch World Cup. The Weasleys wrote to me a couple weeks ago telling me about getting the tickets, and that prompted me to tell my mom that I'm going to England early to see the Quidditch Cup. I replied with my mom said I could go. I should be leaving in a couple days by floo powder. I decide that I should read up on other games from the past.

My reading is very quickly interrupted because ten minutes later, boys come barreling through the door, much to my dismay. I look up and I see boys that look an awful lot like Jacob, just varying in height. Thanks to the visions Renesmee has showed me, I recognize them all. Sam, Embry, Quil, Jared, Paul, and Seth. Behind them, are the elders. Seth's mom Sue and Old Quil. I quickly put my book away and get up to introduce myself. I shake hands with both Sue and Old Quil and also Sam. "Pleasure to meet you, Chloe. Renesmee has told us a lot about you," Sam says. I smile politely. "Pleasure," I respond.

It's all friendly conversation until the food gets here. Sam orders pizza so this talk will seem more casual. As soon as the pizza arrives and Renesmee is perfectly distracted with Jacob, the atmosphere gets more business like. Since we can't all fit in Billy's kitchen, we eat outside. "So, Chloe, tell us a little bit about yourself," Billy says in a casual voice. "I'm fourteen. I'll be fifteen in September. I go to a boarding school in Scotland," I say. I don't want to go into any more detail unless I have to. "Are you human?" Old Quil asks in a tone of voice that I don't like. Billy shoots him a look but I answer anyway. "Yes. I'll be a vampire someday, but I don't know when. Long story," I say. "We've got time," Old Quil responds. Hesitantly, I tell them what Carlisle has said about my future.

After all that is cleared up, things get a lot less tense and more friendly. Sam tells me more about the pack and imprinting. All in all, very educational. Also a little boring. I just want to go home and back in my room. A few hours later, I get my wish. I see Edward's Volvo pull up to Billy's house. Anxious to get home, I'm the first one to get in - while Nessie has to be forcibly removed from Jacob. Again, it doesn't take us long to get home. About five minutes since there are less people out. I don't waste time saying hi to my family. Carlisle is home but nowhere to be seen, and I can't see grandma either. Jasper and dad are sparring outside and Alice is watching. I don't waste any time in going to my room. When I enter, though, I stop dead. My mom is here.

I pause in the open doorway. "Chloe, we have to talk," she says gently. I am about to walk right back out when I feel her hand in mine. "We've been ignoring this for too long. I can't go an entire school year without hearing from you. We have to talk about this. We can talk like we did when you were younger. Ice cream with pillows all around us and talking about our feelings while watching a bad sitcom," she says. I struggle to get out of her grasp and eventually fail. "Chloe, please," I hear her say. She sounds depressed. Against my better judgement, I turn my head to face her. While she still looks as gorgeous as always, the sad look on her face looks wrong. I groan and re enter my room.

In there, I see that she's prepared for this. At the end of my bed is a pile of pillows that are thoughtfully arranged, and there's a cooler with ice cream. I can hear the door close behind me. "Can you say something?" mom asks. "What's there to talk about?" I ask in a whisper. She takes me by my hand and sits me down in the couch pillow pile. This is very familiar. We used to do this all the time when I was little. We did this when I was sick, or sad, or in a bad mood, or if I just wanted to spend time with her. Although, I used to help her arrange the pillows. "You," she says. She grabs my hands. I try to pull my hands away, but mom holds on. "You're not yourself. We've hardly spoken since you go home. I used to hear you cry in your sleep, Chloe. It broke my heart! I want to know what's going on with you," she says.

I look at her dead in the eye. "You know perfectly well what's going on with me," I say through gritted teeth. "I know you're still upset about what happened last Christmas break. I want to know specifics. What are you feeling?" she asks. I don't respond. She turns around to the cooler and pulls out my weak spot. Chocolate ice cream. She hands it to me. I open it and start eating, but I don't answer her question. "What good would that do? Unless you're going to apologize for not telling me what happened, I don't see the point," I respond. She sits next to me and puts her arm around me. I decide not to move, but I don't do anything else except eat either.

"You're depressed, Chloe, and I want to know how deep it goes. This isn't healthy. Let's start in the beginning. I know that you're mad because we didn't tell you what happened. Your mad because you thought we almost died. Are you really mad? Or is it something else?" she asks. I don't respond. "Chloe, please talk to me. Are you scared?" she asks. Again, I don't respond. My feelings betray me. I can feel my eyes sting. I didn't think I was scared. Maybe at first, but not anymore. Am I still scared? I feel a tear slip over. Immediately, I put the ice cream down so I can wipe it, but my mom beats me to it. "Honey, is that it? Are you scared? What of?" she asks.

It takes me a minute to regain my composure enough to finally talk. "You almost died, mom. The entire family almost did. Except me. I would've been by myself. What would I have done if I were by myself?" I ask, voice cracking at the end. She pulls me closer and I don't fight it. "Are you scared that it's going to happen again?" she asks. "I don't know..." I answer honestly. I start to cry more and I can feel her rub my back. "I never thought about you guys dying before. Not seriously," I confide. Then, she does something I'm not expecting. She picks me up and sets me on her lap as if I were a child again.

"I know the thought of your parents dying is scary. It is possible for us to die," she says. I cry harder when she says this. "We're not dead, though. We're still here," she says. This doesn't change my mood. She makes me lay my head on her shoulder, which I'm hesitant to do because I know it'll mess up her hair, but she insists. "I know you're still here. But what if the Volturi come back? You know they will. What happens then? You could die again!" I tell her. She sighs. "If the Volturi come back, then we'll be ready for them. We'll gather the same group of vampires and we'll be ready to fight again," she says. "What about me?" I ask. She's quiet for a minute. "I'll make sure you know how to defend yourself. Okay? I really am sorry for making you feel this way. I'm still here, your dad's still here, we're okay," she says. I'm not sure what it is about this statement, but I finally release the sobs that I've been holding back. My mom doesn't say a word. She just holds me in her arms like she used to until I'm calm again. I still don't know if I forgive her for not telling me what happened, but our relationship is one step closer to getting fixed.

*Author's Note: Yay! First chapter of book four is up! Fun Fact: This series was almost called Chloe VOLTURI. Yup. She was almost Caius's daughter. I changed it because I couldn't shake the image of her as Rosalie and Emmett's daughter. I decided her being Rosalie and Emmett's daughter might be more interesting.*