CHAPTER SIX

Chapter six

Another two days had passed since the hunt and Merida had found herself wondering around the castle more often than she had expected. With all the commotion that put the court into chaos, she found a strange joy in her days, almost glad that this was all happening.

She was also looking forward to the first task in the competition. Though she was more excited to see the Lords embarras themselves than anything else.

The first competition would be decided by her father, the second her mother and lastly Merida herself. King Fergus, of course, had went with an exciting activity, which he and his friends had dully named the ring. In this, the competitors would fight in a circle, with no weapons and only their riding clothes. Though from the outside it seemed to look more like a drunken brawl, in the ring, it was violent and dangerous due to the ruthlessness of the men that usually took part.

She could remember the time her father had took part.

Merida day on her throne waiting for the competition to begin, ignoring the speech that the King and Queen gave from beside her. In front of the stand where they sat, a large crowd gathered, leaving an even larger circle of space, where the four competitions stood side by side shoulders straightened and chest out. The people cheered for them as they looked around audience, nodding in recognition.

"Let the first trial," her mother began, leaving Fergus to continue.

"Begin!" He shouted, and the crowd shouted encouragement for the violence.

Macguffin, Macintosh and Dingwall, turned swiftly, there knees squatting as they chose to circle Bjorn, their mouths resembling a dog's snarl.

"They're ganging up on him." Merida commented and Fergus nodded, unimpressed.

They watched as they leaped upon him, landing their blows, most of which were blocked with force from the young Viking. He hit back, sending punch after punch as they ran toward him, knuckles bare.

"Yes, and it's their fathers' doing. I heard them speaking foully this morning about the Northmen." King Fergus whispered to her daughter, the information masked to all else thanks to the cacophony of noise.

"That's wee Dingwall out!" He shouted, knocking his own hand against his leg in excitement as the brawl continued.

"They think it's unfair that we let him compete." Fergus went back to explaining.

Bjorn was on the floor. Macintosh ran toward him, his shoulder angled. The Viking lifted his legs, his feet pushing against him as he ran into him, pushing him backward with such force that he fell to the ground his arm snapping backward. Jumping up quickly, Bjorn crashed his fist into Macguffin, who just barely blocked him.

"In a way, I don't blame them. If I was in their position I would feel threatened by your hospitality for the Vikings too, given they're all so large and strong." Merida said, as her eyes trailed the fight.

"Macintosh is out now too." Fergus commented, watching as he was thrown backward, Macguffin landing on him as Macintosh tapped himself out.

"It's the hair, I'm telling you." He said, earning a laugh from his daughter.

Bjorn was hit one last time by Macguffin, a deadly glare crossing his eyes as he turned back to the smaller man. Merida was sure she could see Macguffin tremble before Bjorn punched him back, a loud crack silencing the crowds cheering as he fell to the floor beneath him, not able to get back up. Bjorn stood, looking around, his knuckles bleeding. His eyes landed on Merida as she raised a brow.

"I can't believe he did it." She said, as her mother finally stood up.

"We have a champion for our first round." She said, clapping her hands through the quietness.