61. The last grain of sand.

Start from the beginning

Tyler straightened his back while Eric took a step back with Jake. BJ was on his right and Nathan flanked him to the left. So three men faced a group of fifteen drunken partygoers.
One spoke to him. His face looked vaguely familiar to Tyler.
"So you're the great Tyler Reed," it sounded dismissive. "My father thinks you're an example to people like me and says I can learn something from how you behave. I bet my dad doesn't know you're a filthy queer."
"And who might your father be?" asked Tyler, icily.
"Gabriel Aroujo," said Jared, who stood right next to him.
"What's with this fuss, Manu?" he demanded to know. "You bring shame on our family by behaving so indecently towards Tyler."
He frowned. "You know very well what position he holds in our family and the affection that grandmother has for him," he chided.
His black eyes slid inexorably over the group behind Manu. He repeated his words in Spanish, where they sounded even sharper and more punitive. Some cringed, but Manu Aroujo seemed to want to get his gram.
"I don't have to take anything from you, Jareed,"  he spat, berating. You're not a prince anymore. Now you're no better than the rest of us."
Manu spat contemptuous in front of Jared's feet.

Within a beat he lay on the ground, his cheek just an inch away from his saliva on the floor. Tyler had turned his arm straight up and restrained him with a knee in his back.
"How dare you show such disrespect for your grandmother and father?" he hissed furiously.
Ice cold fire blew out of his eyes as he looked at the rest of the group. At the same time, they swelled backwards.
Manu was pulled up by Tyler and forced to a position on his knees.
"Apologize to your cousin and host," he commanded. His inexorable eyes were still aimed at the now embarrassed men.
Manu muttered something that didn't sound like an apology and mercilessly turned Tyler on his arm until something cracked. Manu was wailing.
"I will not ask again!" Tyler said with undisputed authority.
"Sorry, Jared," was Manu's direct and submissive response.
Tyler let him go right away.

The man immediately got up and supported his sore arm.
"Manu," Tyler commanded him in a tone that didn't tolerate any contradiction. Not looking him in the eye, the man took a cautious step towards Tyler.
"Look at me."
Pale green eyes carefully looked for his bright gaze.
"I told your father at our first meeting who I was. I appreciated his openness, honesty and good heart." Blue eyes drilled into green. "These are the qualities of a man, Manu. It would do you good to remember that." The rebuke was inexorable.
"Go sleep off your buzz."
He let his gaze slide over the group. "That goes for you too!"
With a simple but unmistakably authoritarian wave of his hand, he demanded immediate follow-up of his orders. They let the room hastily.
Tyler turned to Jared.
"Are you okay?"
Jared blinked at the look in Tyler's blue eyes that looked so unfamiliar to him.
"Answer me," he demanded.
Jared nodded, unable to speak up.

Tyler got away from him and walked over to the strippers and their manager. He spoke briefly with them and the man shook his hand. He said something to the strippers who giggled girlishly in response and flanked him seductively from all sides. His hands lay on half-naked hips as the music re-sounded through the speakers. The remaining guests returned to their own conversations and pursuits.
With three scantily clad ladies on his arms and a broad smile on his face, he returned to his company.
"The ladies are so sweet to give another floor show before they go," he said looking each woman briefly in the eye.
Three sighs rang out and three kisses adorned his cheek before they walked back hips-swaying to prepare their encore.

"What?" he asked innocently upon seeing their faces.
"You're a vessel of contradictions, young man," Jake said, punching him in the shoulder.
They were pushing around him.
"Good move," Nathan said approvingly.
"You didn't give that guy a chance," BJ grumbled.
"That looked hot," Eric blew out.
Tarek grinned at him.
Only Jared didn't say anything. He just stared at him.
Tyler didn't recognize the expression in those eyes, and he felt uncomfortable.
"I have to pee," he said, grabbing Eric and pulling him along.
His chest squeezed painfully together.
'What was that expression on his face? What did it mean?'
The desire to grab him and ask him this was overwhelming. Anything to escape this caustic uncertainty.