20. Walk By That Lake One More Time

Start from the beginning

     "Hello Hermy." she said, "We meet again."

     "You know if he wasn't a lifeless teddy bear." A voice came booming from behind. "I honestly think he would be flattered that you remember him."

     Lizzy wasn't afraid of that voice, since she had already figured out who it was. "If I'm not mistaken Sergeant Major Smith, don't you have a crew of fresh recruits to whip into fighting shape at the base?"

     "No Ma'am." Gary Smith said with a smile. "As of last week, I decided to cash in some long overdue leave. I got a loan of this RV from an officer that owed me a favor and decided to go camping. I love the outdoors. My family came out here every summer, as did a lot of families from our hometown, especially during the first weekend of August. That weekend was always a big event for our town. My spot used to be about a kilometer that way. This spot belonged to the Sheppard family, but I think you already knew that."

     "You only looked over the list for a few seconds." Lizzy said to him.

     "I have a photographic memory." He replied.

     "Number twenty-four." Lizzy called out, picking a random number.

     "Take Liz to the vines." Gary answered.

     "Do you have any idea what that means?" Lizzy asked.

     "Not a clue." Gary replied.

     "Number seven." Lizzy called out.

     "Have a picnic at that park." Gary raised his hand and paused for a moment. "What park was he referring to when he wrote that?"

     "Central." Lizzy answered.

     "Nice," Gary said, smiling. "Very nice."

     "So you memorized the entire list?" Lizzy inquired, actually impressed.

     "Not perfectly, but good enough to be of some use." Gary replied, "When I got back to the barracks, I recited the list from memory and put it to paper. I was sincerely touched by how you went out of your way to do something for me that day. So much that I wanted to return the favor and help you. As it turns out, I have the unique ability to help you resolve what happens to be one of the toughest tasks on your list."

     "That being the lake I had no idea about." Lizzy supplied.

     "Exactly. I happen to know that this is that lake." Gary said as he pointed towards Lake Huron. He was dressed very casually, wearing cargo pants but a plain grey t-shirt, probably as close to vacation as the soldier was going to get. "I applied for leave because I wanted to help you with your list, starting off with this lake. No one else knows why Hayden wanted to come back here."

     "And you do?" Lizzy asked.

     "As a matter of fact, I do." Gary boasted. "I was here when the incident happened."

     "What incident?" Lizzy asked, eager to know more.

     "The one that caused the Sheppard family to leave early and never come back." Gary casually walked over and took his Hermy back from Lizzy. He walked over to the RV and opened the door and tossed the bear inside. "There are a few clouds forming. I don't want him to get wet."

     "Of course." Lizzy agreed with a smile.

     "Come this way," Gary said, gesturing towards the lake. "I want to take you to the exact spot where it happened."

     She walked a few feet behind the Sergeant Major, and he was moving respectfully slow since he didn't want Lizzy to fall behind and not be able to make it to their destination with him. After a few moments she realized he was walking her to the beach, the coast of Lake Huron. The lake was huge and made for a stunning sight, one that clearly took her breath away. Even though on a map it seemed like a small body of water compared to like the oceans, the lake still looked like it went on forever into the sunset. He passed by two life guard stations, and then eventually came to a stop and stood there, looking out at the lake. He was quiet and didn't say anything to Lizzy as she walked up to where he was standing. After a few moments, he finally spoke.