Pain Reminds Me That I Am Alive

Start from the beginning

"Isn't there enough homes here?"

He looks at me and smiles.

"Not everyone is ready for a family. Some prefer bachelor or bachelorette roles. Especially those returning from college," he says.

We come to another door, entering a hallway that steeps down, merging into stairs.

"Did, um was anyone hurt tonight?"

Closing his eyes, he licks his lips.

"None of us were hurt. I can't say the same for them or for Adit." With that he leads me downstairs.

I hear quiet murmurs coming from children. Soft cries drifting through the air. Then I hear a voice I will recognize anywhere. As I approach, I see her cradling a frightened child. I lean down to her. One of her hands reaches up and grabs my shirt bringing my lips to hers.

"Don't you ever do that again," she says still kissing me.

"I can't promise that I won't." Taking the child from her arms and standing us. Keeping the child pressed against me. I see other kids coming to us. They all are scared. And my heart breaks for them. Even with special powers and gifts. The feeling of my being left defenseless is always there at a young age. Most of the children here are babies, all are under seven. Sure, there are the preteens and teens guarding the different levels. But if something worse was to happen tonight would they be ready to raise a village and become parents?

Heavy footsteps coming down the stairs draws everyone attention. Parents start calling out to their children. Scrambling around searching for them. The children yelling back. Even with all the commotion around me, I can't take my eyes off of Kaira.

The aftermath of the fight may have been cleaned and wiped away from the surface, but the damage from it was done. You can't remove the memories. You can't cover up the feeling or act of betrayal.

A hand taps my shoulder, I turn to see a woman, she has her arms extended towards the child I'm holding. I look at the child, then pass her over. I move to Kaira and lift her up.

"What happened, Imani?" she asks.

"I'll tell you when we get home." Seeing the curious gazes on me.

I take her hand and follow the parents out of the room, up the stairs and out of the building. Plenty are soothing their frightened children. The smiles on the teenager's faces are one of relief. Fathers embrace their sons and daughters for standing strong and for being prepared to be the last line of defense. For protecting reacting fast and protecting the younger children. Mothers kiss them just being happy to be able to see them again. To feel them again pressed against their breast.

Once we are outside, I pull Kaira to me. Wrapping my arm around her. We begin to walk in the direction of our home. As we pass the mini mansion where Adit live, I see a wolf sitting in front of the door. Pulling Kaira to a halt, I call out to it.

"Adit?"

"I don't think that Adit love," Kaira says.

"What do you mean?"

"I cannot 'see' it," she explains.

The wolf whines before it stands and comes to us. Naturally I move Kaira behind me. The wolf comes and sits in front of us, staring. It tilts its head.

"It tilts it's head like Adit does," I tell Kaira. "But I believe you are right. It doesn't have the black markings on it."

The wolf yelps, standing back up and padding to the door.

"Could it be another member of the pack?" I ask.

"I don't think so love."

"Well I don't speak wolf, so I say we proceed home."