Chapter Nine

"Hedwig? HEDWIG!" Hedwig was hit by a ray of green light and began toppling down from the air, while Harry looked on in devastation on the sidecar of Hagrid's motorcycle. Voldemort began to chase after them as Harry felt his consciousness disappearing. 

"Harry..." said a voice Harry recognised as Voldemort's. He shot the Killing Curse, while Harry used the Disarming Charm, and their spells collided. Fire began erupting, as they lost sight of Voldemort. Mrs. Weasley was inside the Burrow when she heard all the rumbling as Harry and Hagrid began drenched in the water from Hagrid's motorcycle. 

"Harry. Hagrid." said Mrs. Weasley courteously. "What happened? Where are the others?" 

"Is no-one else back?"

"They wer on us righ' from the start, Molly. We didn't stand a chance."

"Well, thank goodness you two are all right."

"The Death Eaters were waiting for us. It was an ambush." 

"Ron and Tonks should've already been back." explained Ginny. "Dad and Fred as well." Just then, Remus Lupin and George (who had lost an ear and blood was running through his head).

"Here!" screeched Lupin, holding George with one arm. "Quick! Into the house!" Harry ran over to Lupin and George to support them, putting an arm around the Weasley. Mrs. Weasley looked in despair at the three of them and came over.

"Oh, my boy!" she said sadly, hugging George tightly. In the meantime, Lupin grabbed Harry by his chest and threw up against a pillar on the wall.

"Lupin! Get off me!"

"What are you doing?" asked Ginny angrily. Remus did not let go of Harry, his hand aggressively remaining on his shirt. He held a bloody hand on Harry's neck and held his wand two inches away from Harry's forehead.

"What creature sat in the corner the first time Harry Potter visited my office in Hogwarts?"

"Are you mad?!" yelled Harry, trying to punch Lupin in the stomach, though failing.

"WHAT CREATURE?" bellowed Remus. 

"A Grindylow." said Harry in a low voice, and Remus released his incredibly tight grip on him. Harry let out a sigh of relief. 

"We've been betrayed," explained Lupin darkly. "Voldemort knew you were being moved tonight. I had to make sure you weren't a Death Eater." Harry nodded sadly, and couldn't really blame Remus for the abrupt attack that occurred seconds ago. A loud 'whoosh' noise came from around the Burrow, and Remus ran out, Harry behind him. There was Kingsley and Hermione. Harry rushed over to Hermione and gave her a tight hug, which was responded to by Hermione kissing him on the cheek. Meanwhile, Kingsley and Remus held the wands up against each other.

"The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?" asked Kingsley, his wand aiming straight for Lupin's nose. 

"'Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him.'" repeated Remus, and Harry felt the overwhelm of people expecting too much of him again. Shacklebolt lowered his wand and turned to face Harry.

"What gave you away?"

"Hedwig, I think. She was trying to protect me." Hermione once more ran into Harry's arms, as he stroked her hair lightly. Ron and Tonks were back, and Harry and Hermione ran at once to give Ron a large hug, as the three of them almost all fell to the ground. Hermione took off Harry's glasses, rubbed the fog off, and put them back on lovingly.

Also back were Bill and Fleur, who announced they were going to get married soon. They had just come back on a thestral. 

"Deserves that." said Tonks, hugging Lupin tightly as well. "Brilliant, Ron was. I wouldn't be standing here without him."