1. The Unwelcomed

Chapter 1

*********

"Morning Mr. Tucker! The usual please."

The heavy unshaven man chuckled lightly, as he watched me through tired, hooded eyes.

"Why so chipper today, Red?" He asked, lifting his warm gaze as he gathered small loafs of bread in front of me. Red. Ever since Grandmother had given me the riding hood, I've been nicknamed Red, Little Red Riding Hood, or just plain old Hood.

I put my hands behind my red cape and grinned, slowly rocking back and forth on the balls of my feet. "Today's my birthday." I tried to hide the guilty smile playing on my lips. The idea of growing up had always given me great confidence and independence in myself. Today, I was no longer a little girl; but a woman.

Mr. Tucker handed me the three small loafs of bread. They were still warm as they touched the skin of my palms. "Your birthday, eh? Tell me, how old ya turning today?"

"Eighteen, sir."

"Well, well. Little Red Riding Hood ain't so little no more." He chuckled as he began to organize the bread out of the oven, and onto the wooden table. Smiling, I placed four small coins on it, and made my way to the front door of the bakery, before turning to look over my shoulder as I was about to exit.

"Thanks again, Mr. Tucker. Your pastries are splendid like always." I placed the wheat loafs into my wooden basket, carried resting on my right forearm, and covered it with a white woven blanket to keep the bread warm.

"Okay, Red. Come back soon!" The scruffy man announced behind me. "And a happy birthday!"

Stepping down from the bakery's front steps, I lifted my chin, looking about at the town's surroundings.

Today was an unusually busy day. The streets were crowded with working men and women, pushing small wheelbarrows on the dirt paths. Small boys challenged each other with wooden swords as they yelled war cries. A group of young girls sat on the edge of the mossy well and braided each other's hair, giggling and laughing.

I couldn't help smile. Nothing about the day seemed off. The clear sky did not have one single cloud disturbing its perfectly plain blue color. The sunlight sunk into my pale skin, warming my body from head to toe. The breeze was gentle, playfully playing with the long strands of my golden hair.

I knew by the time Wolf Season arrived, everyone would cower in fear once again, hiding in their homes and cottages. The village would become completely lifeless and still.

When I hurriedly arrived home, someone was standing in front of the doorway. Laughing, I went up to the tall girl with spiraling chestnut hair and deep brown eyes, the red fabric following my every step.

"Amber, what are you doing here?" I laughed a little harder when she turned around, her face drenched in shock and surprise.

"Not raiding into your home..." She bit her lip, anxiously hiding something behind her dull green everyday dress.

I deposited my basket down next to me calmly, only to attack her after and grab what she was hiding behind her slim back. I grinned as she squealed out and pulled what felt like a small box away from me.

"No! Red, Stop!" When I ripped the box from her hands, she yelled in frustration. "Juliette!"

I gave her a beaming smile and stared at the box, only to pull it back when she tried to reach for it again. The small rectangular box sitting in my hand was beautifully wrapped in white wrapping paper, a small blue bow finishing the look.

"Hmm... I wonder what this could be." I reached out my other arm from my riding hood, and slowly unwrapped the present my best friend had desperately tried to hide from me.