𝐱𝐢𝐢. 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

Start from the beginning

"I don't know," he murmured. "The only guess I have is that maybe your mind doesn't work the same way the rest of theirs do. Like your thoughts are on the AM frequency and I'm only getting FM." He grinned at her, suddenly amused.

"My mind doesn't work right? I'm a freak?"

"I hear voices in my mind and you're worried that you're the freak," he laughed.

Bella doesn't react as she looked down.

"Don't worry, it's just a theory..." His face tightened. "Which brings us back to you."

Bella sighed. She doesn't even know where to start.

"Aren't we past all the evasions now?" he reminded her softly.

Bella looked away from his face for the first time, trying to find words. Bella happened to notice the speedometer.

"Oh my god!" Bella shouted.

"What's wrong?" He was startled. But the car didn't decelerate.

"You're going a hundred miles an hour!" Bella was still shouting.

"Relax, Bella." He rolled his eyes, still not slowing down.

"You're driving like a mad person. We're going to crash!"

"We're not going to crash."

"Why are you in such a hurry?"

"I always drive like this." He turned to smile crookedly at her.

"Keep your eyes on the road!"

"I've never been in an accident, Bella - I've never even gotten a ticket." He grinned and tapped his forehead. "Built-in radar detector."

"Very funny." Bella fumed

He sighed, and Bella watched with relief as the needle gradually drifted toward eighty. "Happy?"

"Almost."

"I hate driving slow," he muttered.

"This is slow?"

"Enough commentary on my driving," he snapped. "I'm still waiting for your latest theory."

He looked at her with his honey eyes as they were unexpectedly gentle.

"I won't laugh," he promised.

"I'm more afraid that you'll be angry with me."

"Is it that bad?"

"Pretty much, yeah."

He waited. Bella was looking down at her hands, so she couldn't see his expression.

"Go ahead." His voice was calm.

"I don't really know where to start," she admits.

"Why don't you start at the beginning... you said you didn't come up with this on your own."

"No."