Chapter 1

A chilly breeze brewed in the air as the beginning of a frigid winter was at hand. In the midst of the foot high snow with dark and cloudy skies overhead was a small girl. The child shivered in the blizzard as snowflakes pelted at her cheeks. There was no sign of the heavy wind letting up anytime soon. A soft breath left the child's lips as her body trembled, her heartbeat becoming slower with every passing minute.

Death came closer as her body temperature began to drop drastically. Her eyes opened slightly to witness fate take away the only life she had left to live. An ice-cold tear slipped down her flush cheek as her lip began to quiver. Suddenly, she felt her eyelids become heavy as they began to close for the last time. The girl's head gently fell to the side onto the cold blanket of snow as her strength to move left her frail body. Her eyes shut as a final breath escaped her frozen lips.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Neko!" Momo yelled loudly through the courtyard of the Shinō academy.

I turned to see the familiar brown-haired soul reaper running towards me with her arms outstretched. Before I could react she crashed into me, wrapping her arms around me."Neko-chan, congratulations!" I gasped for air as she continued to hug me tighter.

 "Mo-Momo, you're su-suffocating me," I wheezed. She finally released me from her monstrous hold and looked at me with gleaming brown eyes as I gasped for air. "Neko, you finally graduated! Aren't you excited?" she said as a wide smile spread across her face. I rolled my eyes teasingly as I crossed my arms in front of me. "Of course I am, but it hasn't been that long though since you graduated yourself Momo."

Name's Neko Tsuki. Nothing special really, just your average quiet sixteen-year-old shinigami girl. I graduated ahead of my original class of students, but it's nothing to boast about. What else was I to do when girls around my age were gossiping and disregarding me like yesterday's trash? The only friend I had was Momo who graduated last year. I remembered the day we met like it was yesterday.

I was walking down the academy halls to my next class with my textbooks in hand. It was my first year at the academy and all I wanted to do was graduate and become a dependable soul reaper. I wasn't making eye contact with anyone in particular as I made my way to Kido class, letting my mind wander. Two older male students who had passed by me had turned around to follow me. I thought that ignoring them would make them go away, but of course, I was wrong.

"Hey kid, where are you off too?" one of the male students asked with a smirk on his face as he stood in front of me. I attempted to try to get around him, but he continued to block my path. The other boy put a hand on my shoulder from behind. "Hey baby, you don't have to act so tensely around us," he said, almost seductively.

I held my books close to my chest with a worried expression upon my face. "Please leave me alone," I said sheepishly. The boy in front of me chuckled as he put his face in front of mine, our noses inches apart. 

"What did ya say girly? I thought I heard you telling me to bug off just now," he said with his satisfied smirk growing on his face. I looked down, my aqua eyes averting away from his gaze. The boy behind me pulled my head back by my brown hair, forcing my gaze to land back on the other student."Well, baby? I wouldn't want to hurt you, but you've gotta learn some manners."

Before he could lay so much as a finger on me a girl with brown hair and brown eyes appeared seemingly out of nowhere. She smacked the boy into the wall with her textbooks, rage burning in her brown eyes. "Leave her alone! If not I will be forced to engage you from here. Understand!" she said in a threatening voice.