EPILOGUE

K A R I N A

It's 11:30pm on December 24th. My parents and my older brother are currently preparing the food and setting the table for Christmas Eve.

It's been six months since I last saw her. I could still remember the days that she lived with me, all those times that I pushed her away and told her to disappear.. They make me laugh because of how childish we were, but at the same time, lonely.

I miss her.. I miss writing a letter and waiting for my wish to come true. It's hard to celebrate Christmas without anticipating her presents anymore. She never gave me fancy or expensive things, but they meant so much to me because she's the one who gave it.

And no matter how much I try to fill the void that she left me with, I just know that this occasion wouldn't be the same without her. I didn't want to ruin the mood for my family, so I decided to look at the window and redirect my attention by watching other people celebrate.

Our village was full of Christmas lights hanging on the trees and walls of each house. I could hear Christmas carols playing everywhere. The people looked genuinely happy, but there was another thing that caught my attention outside--Our mailbox.

It reminded me of the times where I'd put my letters inside of them and patiently wait for Santa's reply. There's only a few minutes left before 12am.. Should I write a letter?

Although it's pointless now because she's gone and nobody will grant my wishes anymore, this occasion just feels even more incomplete without a letter. In the end, I grabbed a pen and started writing something on a piece of paper.

December 24th

Dear Santa,

I waited for this day so much for my final wish.. I want to see her, I want to be with her. I must be crazy for even writing this right now, but please..

Bring Winter back to me.

Sincerely,
Karina

I sighed heavily after writing the letter. It hurts a lot because I still regret not choosing to be with her. But it must be written at least.. Because maybe, someone out there is bound to read and fulfill what's inside.

I went out of our house with the letter, tightly sealed in an envelope. I was nervous and expectant for no good reason, just like how I've been for the past years. I walked towards our mailbox to open it, when I suddenly heard a familiar voice from behind.

"..Karina Unnie?"

Tears eventually started welling up on the corner of my eyes. I knew whose voice it was.. I could never be wrong.

But how?

I slowly turned around to face her--And there she was. Standing right in front of me, wearing a white coat with her hands on its pockets.

"Winter?" Tears instantly fell on my cheeks as soon as our eyes met. I couldn't believe it, everything just felt so unreal. "W-Why are you here?"

She looked at the envelope that I was holding and smiled. "I came all the way from Japan to get your letter.."

"W-What?" I laughed as I tried processing the situation. She has to be kidding, right?

"I'm your Santa.. aren't I? I'm supposed to grant your wishes every year.." She took a deep breath and opened her arms wide for me. "And this year is no exception."