5

Nicole had skipped her third period to get high. She was under the bleacher smoking a blunt when she saw Rue approaching her.

"Hey" Rue spoke to Nicole awkwardly

"Rue right?" Nicole asked her but already knew the answer

"Yeah." She said

"I'm Nicole" she smiled and passed her the blunt. Rue chuckled and took it placing it between her lips

"You're so generous Nicole" she said and Nicole laughed.

"I try" she replied

"I heard you moved here from New York" Rue announced and Nicole nodded.
"I've also noticed that you've been having withdrawals" Rue's eyebrow rose and Nicole froze

"I don't judge I'm just wondering how you've managed to stay clean" Rue asked

"I'm not clean" Nicole chuckled
"I'm just running out and living of off weed" she explained

"Shit. I can hook you up with someone if you want?" Rue suggested and It was Nicole's turn to raise her eyebrow.

————-

"Is ashtray in the back?" Rue asked

Nicole was standing next to rue as she spoke to Fez. A rush of excitement rose in Nicole's body. She was eager to get high of off something stronger. She needed the affects of stronger drugs in her system. She followed rue into the store and into the fridge where she was welcomed by a kid with face tats.

"What the fuck do you want Rue?" The kid spoke taking Nicole by surprise

"I need a couple of OCs and whatever she's having" Rye spoke and the kid looked at the curly haired girl standing next to Rue.

"Who you?" He asked her

"I'm Nicole" she spoke

"She just moved from New York. She's cool" Rue spoke for her.
"Nicole meet Ashtray" she added.

"What can I get you New York?" Ashtray asked

"A couple of OCs and some blow" she spoke and Rue chuckled.

"Damn" Ashtray and Rue spoke in unison.

Ashtray gave each their packet of drugs and they passed him the money.

"Pleasure doing business with you" he said watching the girls walk away.

Once the door was closed Fez walked in.

"What did they buy?" He asked and Ashtray looked at him.

"Uh... Rue got some OCs and New York got OCs as well and blow" he said
"Why you asking?" He asked

"Ash I think the other girl is doing smack too" he said and Ashtray stopped for a second.

"Well what the fuck do you want me to do about it?" The kid shrugged.

Fez sighed and walked outside lighting his blunt and taking a puff. Nicole had caught his eye and he hadn't stopped thinking about her ever since. She hasn't seen someone like her ever before and he was addicted.

"So... you do coke too" Rue mentioned as Nicole drove. Nicole glanced at her.

"Isn't it ducking obvious?" She chuckled

"I mean I just thought you were into OCs and Xannies" Rue shrugged

"You've never down come before?" Nicole asked her

"No" Rue mumbled

"Well if you want some..." Nicole started and looked at her.
"But I ain't pushing you or anything" she added looking back at the road.

Rue went to Nicole's house and they quickly entered her room. She noticed her mom nor her brother weren't home but didn't really make much out of it. Nicole and Rue day on her bed and Rue watched as Nicole grabbed a metal rolling tray and pulled out the baggie filled with white powder. Nicole dumped a part of it on the the tray and grab a razor blade and cut the white powder making sure that it was fine and didn't have 'rocks' in it. She made four perfect lines and took the metal straw in her hands.

"You have a metal straw?" Rue chuckled

"Dollar bills weren't working for me" Nicole explained laughing.

"You ever snorted anything before?" Nicole asked Rue. Rue nodded
"So you know the drill" she shrugged and leaned forward.

She placed the metal straw in her nostril and vacuumed the white substance. The first line disappeared and then second one. Nicole sat back up and threw her head back moaning in pleasure. She smiled at Rue and Rue smiled back at her. Rue took the tray from her and copied her actions. Nicole and Rue made eye contact and fell into a fit of laughter before laying down on the bed in silence for a while.

"Cole I don't know shit about you" Rue spoke

"What do you want to know?" Nicole asked

"Like, how was your childhood?" Rue asked.

Nicole stayed quiet before quiet for a couple of seconds. She trusted Rue. She could she how hurt she was and she felt as if she could understand her. She was also comfortable around Rue. She wasn't nervous or awkward when she was with her. So she spoke.

"Well... my parents divorced when I was 8 and I moved with my father in New York. My mom had always been a bitch. She barely knows I exists and she wasn't very happy that I was moving back with her but who gives a fuck right? Uh... my dad was killed at the beginning of the summer so that was cool. And that's also the reason I moved here. But hey at least I get to see my brother more often" she chuckled but the pain was obvious in her voice.

Rue sat up and looked at the girl sympathetically. She had so many questions but it would be rude to ask but Nicole knew what she was thinking. So she explained

"He was shot" she informed her and Rue shut her eyes for a second.

"Shit sorry" Rue mumbled and laid back down.

"It's fine" Nicole said
"I still haven't gotten used to it but I'm just fucking angry. I mean... I was in pretty dark place already and shit now it feels that I'm stuck in a loop in which the minute I'm happy somebody fucking dies" Nicole sat up and lit a cigarette

What surprised Rue was how calmly Nicole spoke. It must've been the drugs that made Nicole seem emotionless but it still shocked Rue.

"What do you mean?" Rue asked sitting up again placing her back on the frame of the bed.

"I had a lot of friends die on me back home. Some ODed and two of them were shot in front of my goddamn eyes" she explained taking a drag from her cigarette.

"I just don't understand why bad things only fucking happen to good people"