Chapter Thirteen - [Making Up.]

Start from the beginning

He shook his head.

“She was more mad at me for not telling me that you were the girl I’d met in Panama City Beach than anything. She said we’re still young, so it’s not an ideal situation but we should make the best of it.”

I smiled, sinking back in my seat a little bit with relief.

“Charlotte, you’ve got to stop being so negative.”

Tilting my head, I asked, “What do you mean?”

“You keep thinking that people are going to hate you because you’re pregnant. It took both of us to do this, not just you. We did this, Charlotte. And unlike some of those city boys you were probably around growing up, I wasn’t raised like that. Like it or not, we’re in this together.”

My heart fluttered. Like it or not. I did like it.

“Thanks,” I said, giving him another small smile. “But what about your parents?”

“This upcoming Friday, we’re having a family get together. I’ll tell you what. I will tell my parents beforehand, but you come and meet them. How’s that sound?”

My heart hammered in my chest. He wanted me to meet his family. I swallowed hard, thinking about my response.

“I’d like that.”

That gave me a handful of days to prepare. To get my courage up.

“I’m going to be pretty busy this week, so I’m not sure I’ll be able to see you until then.”

“Busy at your grandparents farm?”

He grinned, as if he had something planned.

“Not exactly. I’ll pick you up on Friday about an hour before the party, and show you what I’ve been working on.”

We finished up our drinks and parted ways, and I couldn’t help but dread Friday and be greatly excited for it all at the same time.

“Who’s setting up for the party anyway?” I asked.

Emmett shrugged.

“Me.”

I crossed my arms, raising my eyebrows at him.

“Do you want my help?”

“Would you want to?” He asked, grinning sheepishly.

“Of course. What time does it start?”

We had reached my truck, and he opened the door. I climbed inside, and he shut it after me.

“Seven.”

“I’ll be there at three.”

“You’re an angel.”

“See you then, cowboy,” I answered, starting the engine.

“Bye, Charlotte.”

I drove home, elated the way the day had turned out. Emmett and Brooke had reacted way better than I had expected them to. But that didn’t mean I was out of the woods yet. I needed to make a good impression on them.

I would make this party perfect.

When Aunt Lauren got home, I told her everything that had happened. She eased my fears about Emmett’s family. They had raised him, and he was the way he turned out. What made me think they wouldn’t be just as kind?

She had a point. I made a mental note to ask him if she could come. She’d have that day off.

Emmett told me that he’d have all the food ready, but I didn’t think that he was thinking of any desserts. I got some ingredients for some of my favorites, and asked Emmett what desserts his family would like and planned to make those as well.

He told me it was an early Fourth of July party/family reunion. A lot of his family had to work for the Fourth, so they wouldn’t be able to do anything then. I wasn’t even sure what was going on in Paris for the Fourth, but I was sure something good would be going on.

On Wednesday morning, I was doing my last bit of shopping and in a pretty good mood. I was at the check out, and the cashier was just about to ring me up when his head snapped up to somewhere behind me.

“Hey, kid! Put that down! I told you about that stealing crap!”

Looking behind me, there was a girl that couldn’t be more than seven years old. She was skinny, with stringy blonde hair. She was a bit dirty, so I figured she’d just been playing somewhere. She had a small to go sandwich, which she’d just swiped from where the candy was.

Something about this girl told me she wasn’t stealing just to steal.

“I’ll pay for it,” I volunteered.

“Oh you don’t have to do that,” He said, glaring at her. “She’s always in here trying to swipe something. But she never says a damned word.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll get it,” I insisted. I crouched down so I was eye level.

“Can you promise me that you won’t steal again?” I asked gently.

The girl eyed me cautiously, but after a moment her look softened just a little bit.

“Promise,” She said quietly. I took the sandwich and handed it to the cashier, who rung it up along with the rest of my stuff. I handed it back to the girl, who muttered something like a thank you and took off running.

“Little runt,” The cashier grunted as I paid.

I took my bags home, making sure everything was in order so I could take it to Emmett’s Friday afternoon. He kept telling me I didn’t have to do so much, but I really wanted to. I wanted his family to like me, and I wanted him to have a nice time with them.

Thursday night, I skyped with Katie, who insisted that they’d love me no matter what I did. I wasn’t so sure, but hearing her positivity combined with my Aunt Lauren did make me feel better.

I got off Skype around eleven, more tired then I realized when I laid down.

I woke up early the next day, more nervous than ever.