Chapter Twelve - [The Fight.]

The morning sun was what woke me up.

It had made it’s way through the curtain, slowly ascending across the wooden floor of Emmett’s bedroom, up the side of the bed and onto my face. I blinked groggily, not knowing for a second where I was.

Shifting, I rubbed my eyes and blinked a few times. An unfamiliar ceiling fan hung above me, and the sheets were soft in a way I wasn’t used to. In a split second, everything from the night before came flooding back to me.

Emmett knew about my pregnancy.

I bolted upright, gasping. My eyes widened. Emmett knew, and he didn’t tell me to screw off like I’d expected. Not only that, he’d made me sleep on his bed while he slept on the couch - in his own house.

My heart skipped a few beats.

Pushing my bangs out of my eyes, I pulled back my covers and swung my legs over the side of the bed. What time was it? My eyes darted towards the alarm clock on Emmett’s dresser, and saw it was only half past nine.

Before I walked downstairs, I made sure to straighten the bed as best I could and fix my hair a little bit. I didn’t know if he was downstairs or completely gone. What did he need to stick around for? Brooke was here.

I jogged down the stairs, my heart racing when I heard some rustling around in the kitchen. Emmett stood with his back to me, fixing a cup of coffee. There was one other mug out, which I expected to be his sisters.

Needing some coffee, I grabbed it anyway.

I felt Emmett’s eyes on me before he spoke.

“Should you be having coffee?” He asked.

“I, uh-” I began.

Brooke had decided to come into the kitchen at that moment, looking much better than she had the night before.

“Why shouldn’t you be having coffee?” She inquired.

Shit.

Brooke looked at me, wide-eyed and smiling while I felt myself blush scarlet.

I was nervous for a moment, unsure what to say. I was about to blurt out that I just didn’t do well with caffeine, but Emmett beat me to an answer.

“No, she’s pregnant.”

Several things happened at once. First, the coffee cup I was gripping fell to the floor, shattering at my feet. Hot coffee went everywhere - on the floor, on the cupboards, on my feet.  I let out a cry of indignation, not expecting that at all. Brooke’s jaw dropped.

“Emmett!” Brooke and I shouted at the same time.

Why would he do that?

“She had to find out eventually,” Emmett said, shrugging.

What?!” I shouted. That didn’t mean he had the right to blurt it out, with out even so much as asking me. “That doesn’t mean you should blurt it out the first chance you get!”

“You mean it’s true?” Brooke screeched.

“Might as well rip the band-aid off, darlin,” Emmett said defensively.

“This isn’t a band-aid, Emmett. This is a child!”

“Either way, it’s out in the open.”

“You had no right to do that!” I snapped at him.

“Yes I did,” Emmett growled back, seeming surprised that I was offended.